This City of Dreams

I walk down the street, hands shoved in my pockets, hood sitting unstably on my head. The cat ears on top bounced with each step I took. Slipping through the crowd effortlessly. So many people buzzing around despite it being 11 p.m, on another seemingly boring Tuesday. I spot a back street and quickly cut across a crowd of loud teens, heading into the darkness. The chains hanging off my shredded black skinny jeans offer a break from the silence. I take a sigh and breath out checking my phone with dull eyes.

Man, this has been such a horrible day. Firstly no one hired me, then I had to run over 3 blocks away to avoid Heiwajima's vending machine throwing competition. That damn debt collector needs to rein it in a bit. I'm sick of turning down jobs on him. I mean what do I look like a fucking punching bag?

          I roll my eyes and shove the phone back into my pocket. I need to stop by my office and pick up a file some random nobody dropped off for a job. I jump up the fire escape ladder to the roof. I can get to the office quicker from the rooftops than by dragging my feet on the ground. Besides nobody hops the roofs so I don't get bothered. A small smile forms over my lips as I hop around, feeling the wind blow through my (H/L) hair. Maybe I should get a motorcycle. Nah, it's not as free as flying over the rooftops with the glittering city lights twinkling below. I stop for a moment sitting on the edge of the roof watching the little humans scurry around below my feet. Such truly drab things, scuttling on the ground like bugs. However I guess it's not all bad, there are all kinds of curious people down there as well. As my mind races through thoughts like a caffeine addict, I catch a glimpse of what appears to be a car flying over a building.

"Speak of the devil. I wonder what idiot pissed him off this time?"

I giggle to myself before standing up and continuing along to the office. I remember the first time I met Heiwajima. I was hired to follow him and figure out where he lives. Apparently, the client wanted to ambush him or something. I found him while he was fighting this poor soul. That man had no chance against the stand-in bartender. As soon as I saw him pull a street sign out of the ground I noped out so fast. I'm really not interested in getting squished like a bug. I prefer to cause chaos from a distance. So it really sucks for me when my clients tell me I have to throw the dirt I found on someone straight into their face.

         I hop down onto the fire escape balcony and open the window. I jump through rolling and jumping my feet, hands back in my pockets. Akira the boring little desk boy who takes my calls looks at me startled. His face goes blank and he looks back down at the computer typing furiously.

"I have no idea why we even have a door."

"Eh, humans need a way to get in."

He scoffs and shakes his head unimpressed.

"Namie stopped by again."

"You turn her down again?"

"Figured she's worth acknowledging since she's offering so much."

"To stalk her kid brother, I think I've got plenty else to do."

"Like jumping around on rooftops and pissing off law-bidding citizens?"

"I work cases when I feel like it."

"And you wonder why we have to steal power from the factory next door."

"You act as if I force you to work here."

"Like I'm going to leave and let you fail."

"I was doing just fine before you came along."

He looks up at me from his computer.

"You were working out of a cardboard box."

"And somehow it was more peaceful."