This City of false faces

I sneak back down the stairs glaring at him. Was it possible he was faking sleeping this whole time? Does he think I'm stupid enough not to consider this all a part of his plan? Well, there was one thing I could do to figure out if he was faking; hack his computer. I walk over to the desk eyeing him down the whole time. What's my excuse if he wakes up? What's my excuse if he was faking the whole time? Hmmm, don't let him know, lead him on and bring the ball into your court. If he thinks he's moving me around, but I simply move where he wants me, then I'm not under his control. I'll put on a fake face, the one of a tool, and not of the wolf. 

          I sit down at the desk pulling out another hard drive. I stare at him curiously before putting it in the USB port quickly. This one carries a spying hack, so I can watch everything he does on his computer. Akira created this one for me when I was collecting information for a client to blackmail the governor. Unfortunately because of my habit of exposing corruption in this city, I'm about as blacklisted as Izaya. I'm just better at making sure people don't know my face. I pull the hard drive out and place it in my pocket, then walk over to Izaya. He was still sleeping, holding the pillow I shoved in his face when I left. He really did seem like he was passed out. however, I give myself praise for being able to throw people off my tail. I'm not stupid enough to think no one else is that good. Besides he has this entire city under his thumb, every piece holding a knife to another's throat because of his twisted plans. 

          I narrow my eyes at him squatting down beside him. I put my hand on the handle of my knife. I know it would be best to kill him right here and now. There's no telling if he's already planned my death, and is gracefully leading me there. He let his guard down and for someone like him, it's a fatal mistake. Yet here he is clearly sleeping, knowing an enemy who's a threat is inches away. Knowing I'd slit his throat for my own self-preservation was most definitely not something that slipped his mind. So what on earth is he planning?

          I stand up sheathing the knife before taking a step back and sitting on the table. I put my elbows on my knees, taking a deep breath.

"Finally did something I wanted you to."

I shoot Izaya an icy glare, staring at him through my fingers.

"You should know your lucky."

"Oh I'm aware, you're a dangerous individual. My question was could I get you on my side? Get you to go from being dangerous, to being useful."

"You think because I stayed my blade, I'm not dangerous?"

He chuckles softly sitting up and leaning forward.

"Oh no, I want you dangerous."

I slap him across the face so hard that his cheek instantly swells. He looks back at me, his sly smirk not leaving his face for a second. He brushes his fingertips over the red part of his skin.

"I'm not your damn tool Izaya."

"Everyone's a tool, let's make an example shall we? Why are you here, it surely isn't because you like me. No, you realize the same thing I've always accepted, that you benefit from people being in your life. And when they no longer serve a purpose they should simply be excused from your life."

"You're cruel."

"I'm right."

I stand up holding the handle of my knife closely, considering my options. I could just kill him right here and now. 

"You know people are a lot more useful alive Y/N-chan. So let me ask you, what will you gain from killing me right now?"

"Freedom."

"Haha, truly amazing. I didn't force you here did I? Nope, you made that choice all by yourself."

Izaya stands up looming over me curiously. I smirk at him standing up so I can get in his face.     

"I'm not a tame pet Orihara, I'll bite you as quickly as I'd bite my tail off if I benefited me. Humans are nothing but boring little creatures. 

"We seem to simply be two sides of the same coin. So why not work with me, I can't go around burning one side can I?"

"If you think I'm foolish enough to take you at face value-."

"What have I done to prove my words false?"

I shut my mouth glaring at him irritatedly. He was right though, he hasn't moved against me in any way. He saved my life twice now and offered me shelter against possible threats. My eyes trail up and down his physique slowly. 

"Like I'd ever trust you Orihara."

"Oh Y/N-chan, you should."

I scoff quietly turning away from him to leave the penthouse. I was beyond over his head cases and games. I'm not making that mistake ever again. Working with someone was what caused my mishap in Kyoto all those years ago. Izaya grabs my arm yanking me back onto the couch with such force I lose my breath. I grunt trying to get my breath back while trying to push Izaya away. He snickers pinning my arms down so roughly I start to lose feeling in my hands.

"If you can trust me with your body-."

He leans in kissing my neck aggressively causing me to moan.

"Then trust me with your mind."

"Get off."

"If you walk out that door, I'll consider this partnership dissolved."

"Izaya, I only want to work with you to keep you in my field of vision."

He looks at me, and what looks like anger flashes over his face. I stutter slightly, I've never seen him angry before. 

"And you call me scum."

He gets off of me throwing me to the ground. He walked past me to his desk whispering as he went.

"I was never using you."

I sit up rubbing the back of my head tenderly. I look at his back as he walks, utterly confused. I let out a light chuckle getting to my feet.

"Coward."

He looks over his shoulder, irritated at me. 

"I've never once run from a fight, you think I got this scar 'cause I scurried off like a damn rat. Here you are slinking off because you got defeated. Here I am, in my enemy's house, the very enemy that poses the highest threat to my life. And what am I doing? I'm figuring out a way to fight him or co-exist. You figure out I'm just as callous as you, and you just run?"

He casts a glare at me, standing as still as a statue. 

"I never saw you as an enemy, you were simply an intriguing human. One I never intended to cross or hurt."

I feel the weight of his words hit me like a ton of bricks. He seemed genuinely upset by my actions, not excited like he normally is when someone throws a curve ball his way. I cock my head at him confused and take a step closer to him. He looked at me dully, any emotion that lingered was quickly erased.

"Maybe it's time we both admit what we are."