Disappointing Discoveries

“Mason Johnson, eleventh grade, tenor.” I said, glancing curiously at Stein for confirmation that I was indeed tenor. She nodded, writing on the pad before her.

                She looked up expectantly.

                “Notes?” I asked with a sheepish grin.

                She tapped the first few notes.

                I took a deep  breath, clearing my throat. The melody played in my head.

                I could do this.

                I opened my mouth, “Masquerade.”

                I blushed furiously at the voice crack. A few people chuckled, unsure of whether that was intended or not. Stein rolled her eyes, not realizing it was real.

                “Just warming up.” I grinned, making a show of rolling my shoulders back. I shook my arms, loosening my body up. “Here we go.”

                “Any day now.” Stein sighed.

                “Masquerade! Paper faces on parade” I sang, trying to steady my voice. I found it in the next line. “Masquerade! Hide your face so the world will never find you!

                My eyes fell on Rose who sat with crossed arms. A very pissed off expression covered her face. I held her eyes as I sang, hoping that I didn’t sound as awful as I thought I did.

                “Every face as a different shade. Look around there’s another mask behind you. Flash of mauve, splash of puce. Fool and King, ghoul and goose. Green and black, Queen and Priest. Trace of ro—           ”

                “Thank you Mason.” She said, her face expressionless.

                A rush of fear palpitated through my body. What if I had sounded truly awful and Rose looked down on me more?

                There would be no way to recover from that.

                I walked down the aisle, taking a seat in the last row where I had originally sat. Rose didn’t look back, but her face didn’t look happy.

                Three people went after me. I sat through them, not listening. I let my mind wander instead to random thoughts of what Rodger and Leah would say if they found out I had tried and failed to get into the drama.

                I would never live this down.

                “Good job everyone who auditioned. Remember, tomorrow morning at 7 we’re going to do acting auditions. For those of you who have a copy at home, we’re going to be acting out the part before the song ‘Poor Fool, He Makes Me Laugh’. That’s act one, scene nine, by the way. For those who are not familiar with Phantom, it’s right before the chandler drops.”

                I noticed how her eyes landed on me as she spoke the last part.

                “You are dismissed.”

                Everyone shuffled up, moving out of the rows, heading as quickly home as possible. I got out of my row, heading down towards the stage to talk to Stein about my performance.

                A small hand pressed against my chest, stopping me in place. I looked down. The familiar blonde haired girl stood before me with her face just as furious as before.