Motherly Love

“We’re going to Mom’s tonight.” Joey said once I got home that evening. I groaned, collapsing on the couch in exhaustion. She sat across from me, her eyes casually reading the magazine in her hands.

                “Why?”

                “She’s your mother, Mason. You shouldn’t have to ask why.” Her voice was accusing, but her eyes didn’t move from the magazine.

                “But Joey… I have school tomorrow.”

                She nodded, “That’s why you’re going tonight. We won’t have to stay too long. Mom still thinks you go to bed at nine.”

                I stared at my feet, annoyed, “I don’t like visiting her.”

                “She’s your mother.”

                “What’s your point? She doesn’t act like one.”

                Joey took in a deep breath, blowing it out slowly through her lips, “Mason, she’s made mistakes, and she’s trying to fix them now. You need to support her with this. Being her only son, it’s important that you do so.”

                I held back my comments.

                Joey stood up, setting the magazine down on the arm of the chair. She grabbed a jacket, stuffing her keys into the pocket of her jeans. Slowly, I rose up from the couch, following her out the door and to the car.

                Growing up in elementary school, my mother brought home many strange men. While my father kept one lady, she would come home at odd hour in the evening. Usually, we never stuck around long enough to talk to the men.

                It wasn’t until I was in middle school that I realized what she was doing. I simply thought my mother was a popular woman up until then.

                She started to settle down with one man towards the end of fourth grade for me. He moved into the house two months after they started dating. Joey absolutely loathed him and began to spend less and less time in the house. For the most part, she brought me with her, but occasionally I was left alone.

                The man, Jonathon, had been terrible for my mother. My mom had always had a drinking problem, but she had managed to keep it at an acceptable level. Once she started seeing him, the alcohol levels increased.

                She would douse me in cologne before I went to school to rid myself of the stench of alcohol. It never worked completely.

                Once I entered high school, Joey cleaned herself up enough to support me and she became my legal guardian. She had her own drug battle to fight, but she did it for me. Shortly after my mom lost custody of me, she ended her relationship with Jonathon and checked into a rehab.

                She only managed a year out of it before she went back in to work on her addiction. Currently, this was her fourth consecutive month in Fry Village Rehab Center.

                We had only visited twice so far.

                It was roughly fifteen minutes away from our apartment. The ride over, I blared the radio, turning my mind off.

                I absolutely hated going there.

                Joey parked the car, turning off the engine. She sat in her seat for a moment longer before opening the door and climbing out. I followed shortly after.