One Angry Bird

It felt strange not to head towards Rose’s house the next morning.

                I drove to school with the music blaring songs I didn’t normally listen to. I didn’t know the words to them, but the beat felt right for the moment.

                The day seemed to move by slowly.

                I went through morning practices with Mr. Wilson normally. He commented on how I seemed to be less focused today than normal.

                I shrugged, “I don’t feel any different. Sorry”

                “Whatever it is, it needs to stop soon.” He mumbled, ruffling through the papers on his desk. “Sing the second verse again will you?”
                I nodded, opening my mouth to continue with the lesson.

                Rodger met me at my locker once the practice had finished at the start of school. I could tell by the look in his eyes that he wanted to confront me about the play, but once Leah joined, he kept his mouth shut.

                I shot him a grateful look when she finally turned her back.

                “We’ll talk in Math.” He mumbled.

                “Sure.” I muttered, grateful that he wasn’t going to let it slip yet.

                We bumped fists and continued our conversation with Leah and Delran as if nothing happened. As the morning progressed, I found myself growing angrier and angrier. Leah and Delran were disgusting me with how much they loved each other.

                Small snide comments started to come out of my mouth before I could stop myself. Leah was beginning to get fed up with me. Delran didn’t know what to make of it. I wasn’t usually as rude as I was being today.

                “What’s shoved up your ass?” Leah hissed as we made our way to first period.

                “Nothing.” I grumbled.

                “Something is, Mason. You’re being a dick today.” She snapped, “You need to stop it soon, because it’s not attractive.”

                “Whatever.” I grumbled, walking into my first period class.

                I wasn’t looking forward to Drama class. I was thankful I had Rodger in that class, but he would suspect something as soon as I didn’t sit next to Rose.

                I had no intention of sitting next to her. Or looking at her. Or talking to her. Or acknowledging her presence as long as she talked to Pierce.

                I wasn’t ashamed to have lost her to someone else. She had rejected me plenty of times. It wasn’t surprising. It was to whom I lost her to. Of anyone in the entire school, it had to be Pierce. He was the most obnoxious acting freak I had ever met.

                He redefined the word loser.

                To hear from him that Rose had agreed to go on a date with him over me…I swallowed painfully, pushing her out of my mind. It was a stupid little crush I had on her. Nothing more. It would fade eventually.

                The bell rang, dismissing us from class.

                I slipped into the hallways grudgingly, not wanting to go to class. Rodger found me in the hallways before hand, falling into step with me.