Dropping The Bomb.

The next two weeks passed quickly. By some miracle, I was managing to balance the musical with soccer with barely anyone finding out. The musical was progressing along wonderfully. I was surprised at how much fun I was having every rehearsal. I had most of my lines memorized now, but Pierce had shown up to every practice, leaving me useless. True to Macy’s word, Stein was getting more critical as our show date approached, but she was nothing compared to Coach.

                The State Cup was fast approaching and practice had begun to end in a heap of exhaustion. The Saturday practices were killing me. As it was just me there, Coach felt that he didn’t need to hold back at all. A few times, he would join me, but most of the time he was next to me, showing me how to improve or yelling at me for slacking off. Despite everything, the anticipation for the big game overrode any annoyance at Coach. Everyone knew how important this was for our team. Everyone understood why he was getting short tempered.

                Yet, before the State Cup, we had the games before to get through. It seemed every Friday and ever Saturday we were playing a game in some town three hours away. I didn’t mind though. Coach usually drove me after Saturday to the game, stopping at McDonald’s every time.

                The play practice had just finished up, everyone staying around to chat with their friends as they waited for their rides to arrive.

                I hopped off the side of the stage, landing gracefully on my feet. I turned around to see Rose walked down the stairs on the side.

                “Wimp,” I teased, meeting her at the bottom.

                She rolled her eyes, “I don’t feel like breaking my legs right before the show starts.”

                “It’s not that big of a jump!”

                She sighed, shaking her head as she walked over to where our bags sat. Rose picked hers up, crossing her arm over her chest.

                “So I was thinking….” I said as I grabbed mine, slinging over my shoulder.

                “Does your head hurt now?”

                I shot her a look, “Hardy har har. But seriously, this Friday…”

                “I’m not going on a date with you.” She sighed, her voice slightly annoyed. I’d been relentless about asking her on a date. She’d been relentless on declining me.

                “I wasn’t going to ask that—”

                “Yes you were. And I’m not going.”

                “Would you let me finish?!” I laughed.

                She pursed her lips, crossing her arms and waiting for me to go.

                “Alright. This Friday, what are you doing?”

                “I knew it!” She groaned, stomping her foot dramatically.

                I chuckled, wrapping my arm around her shoulders and pulling her along with me as we walked out into the lobby. “Just answer the question.”

                “I don’t think I have anything going on, but I’m not going on a date with you.”

                “I’m not asking you on a date!”