Early Morning Chats

I looked up at the lovebirds, “I need to take a call real quick. If he comes back, get me whatever Caden gets.”

                Joey nodded quickly, turning her head towards Caden for a kiss. I pretended to gag, walking past the table. I pressed call, putting the phone to my ear.

                I walked outside, sitting on the ground and waiting for her to answer. My mind spun out a plethora of things she could say, all of them as unlikely as the next.

                “Hey Mason, sorry for short notice but is that date still up?”

                “Mason, I can’t help it. I need you now.”

                “I just needed you to call me. Your voice is such a turn on.”

                “Mason?”

                “Hello?”

“Mason!”

                I blinked, snapping out of my thoughts. “Uh-H-hey Rose.”

                She giggled, “Hey. I’m not interrupting something am I?”

                I took a deep breath, steadying myself. “No, no. What’s up, Doll face?”

                I could practically see her rolling her eyes at the nickname, “Look. You have practices before school starts right?”

                “Yeah…” I trailed off.

                “I uh… how early are you getting there?” Her voice seemed small, nervous.

                I shrugged, “Not sure yet.”

                “Because I, well…” She let out a nervous laugh, “I have them too with Mrs. Stein, and I was wondering if you would give me a ride there?”

                I blinked surprised.

                “You still there?” She asked after a moment of silence. “Look, it’s totally fine, I can get someone else… I just figured that it would be easier if you were already going there early.”

                “Yeah, no, sorry.” I shook my head, laughing, “Yeah, Rose, I can get you a ride there. You going every day I am?”

                “Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.”

                “Yeah, I got you covered, Babe.”

                She sighed, “Don’t call me ‘Babe’ Mason.”

                “You’re right. I think ‘Doll’ has more of a flow to it when it comes to you, Rose.” I grinned, holding back laughter.

                “Whatever. Alright, I’ll see you Monday morning. Pick me up around quarter of 6?” She asked.

                “Why that early?” I frowned.

                “So we have enough time to get to the school. I don’t live right next to it.”

                “Oh.” I bit my lip, “Yeah alright. I’ll get you then. Text me your address.”

                “Got it.”

                “Catch you later, Doll.”