01 | grudge

=====

=====

Yeah, I need to understand why you want so much space. Yeah, I need to understand why you're making that face.

The music blared in Shouyou's ears through his earbuds as he made it into his new high school. Someone glanced at him, and he quickly turned his head and brushed his bangs further into his face.

There are way too many people here ready to judge him for his differences and Shouyou's not about to give them the damn chance. He's ready to take high school by the balls and show everyone he isn't a wuss.

A crowd was forming to his right. Things like that are best to avoid.

He turned away, only to bump roughly into someone. His eyes watered as the pain traveled through his nose.

"Fuck. Ouch..."

His hand moved to hold his nose, but it was swept up into another. The touch sent a dozen shivers up his spine. He pulled away quickly and, without bothering to even glance at the person, ran off.

Never in his life had he thought of a school building as his sanctuary, but here he was running inside of one.

He was wrong, obviously. This place is hell.

Bam!

Fuck!

He stumbled back, only to be snatched up and pulled into a strong embrace. His earbuds fell out and hung from the collar of his shirt.

"Let me... go!"

Panic settled in fast. In the midst of his struggling his hair had been swept to the side. He narrowed his eyes into a glare and locked eyes with the person stuttering to speak. Both the men froze in shock.

Shouyou was born with a genetic disorder. Sectoral Heterochromia. It means his eyes are two different colors. Bits of brown spotted a bright sky blue.

He's been told it looks like someone shit on his eyes, though, and hearing that over and over again really does a number on someone's self-confidence.

So, in order to preserve what was left of his spirit, he's chosen to hide them.

The person in front of him, gripping onto his wrist and waist and staring at Shouyou as if he were the rarest gem in the world was his childhood friend.

Was.

"Get the fuck off me."

He yanked his hand out of Atsumu's and glared harder. They had left him all alone all throughout middle school for absolutely no spoken reason. They abandoned him.

One day, they had just stopped talking to him, stopped coming over- everything. Shouyou always felt as if he had done something, and it's eaten away at his brain and heart up until this very day.