Chapter 1 - Bennett Hathaway Is Hot

"Can I get a combo number 7 and 5 at table number 2," a voice from the front called out

"On it!" I replied, grabbing the steaming plates and heading out of the kitchen.

The banquet hall was filled with prim and proper wealthy people. Ladies in formal gowns and guys in tuxedos. This kind of party was not my cup of tea. Even the air in the room was posh, smelling of expensive perfume and cologne.

As I scanned the room for table 7, my eyes fell on a group of guys in tuxedos. They were laughing, smiling, and drinking, but one guy in particular caught my eye. He stood in the center of the group, and his grey eyes lit up when he laughed. For some unexplainable reason, I felt drawn to him.

Shaking off the ridiculous feeling, I headed towards table 7 and served them their food. "Can I get you guys anything else? The kitchen is about to close up for the night before the dancing starts."

The old woman's eyes softened, and she smiled at me. "No, dear, that will be all."

"Alright then, have a good night."

Walking back to the bar, I was met with the familiar sight of red hair flowing behind the counter. It was Steph. "I'm clocking out now. I have an early morning tomorrow."

"Ok, I'll see you tomorrow, Laur, and don't forget to set your alarm."

"Got it!"

I headed back into the kitchen and got ready to clock out, but then Mr. Fallon approached me. "Lauren, I need you to stay a couple more hours to help serve some drinks."

"But Mr. Fallon! I have school tomorrow," I whined.

"I can pay you overtime," he pleaded.

"Fine, but only for an hour, okay?" I countered.

"Yeah, that's good enough for me."

I grabbed a champagne platter and headed back out to the party.

Standing in a corner, I waited around, growing bored. This was one thing I hated about drink service. All I did was wait for guests to need a drink. As I looked around the room, observing the different interactions people were having, my eyes fell back on the mysterious stranger. This time, I was met with his grey eyes staring right at me.

Feeling self-conscious, I quickly averted my eyes and glanced at the floor. I blew out a breath, relieved to find another person waving me over for a drink. After serving the rest of the drinks, I headed back to the kitchen.

I clocked out and went to the bathroom to change. Fortunately, the room was empty. I wasn't about to change in a room while people were in there. I pulled off my dress pants and put on some sweats. Then, I took off my white button-up, folded it along with my pants, and put them away. I grabbed my shirt from the bag and prepared to change.

Suddenly, I heard a noise coming from outside the door. Giggling? The door burst open, and a girl and a guy stumbled in, passionately making out while messing with each other's clothes. I stood there stunned. Here I was, half-naked in front of two strangers.

They both gave me an assessing look, glancing over my body. I quickly pulled on my shirt and grabbed my things, heading out the door in a hurry. I didn't want to be near that awkward situation.

Rushing away from there, I didn't even notice someone coming my way as I barreled straight into someone's chest, causing them to spill their drink all over me. "Shit..." the voice said.

Looking up, I was confronted with his grey eyes, annoyance striking his features, he looked at me and grunted, "Watch where you're going."

Um, excuse me? He was the one who didn't see me! "Maybe you should watch where you're going. You're the one who spilled your drink on me," I replied, unable to hide my sass.

He rolled his eyes, clearly unimpressed, and snapped, "Look, love, I don't have time for this. So, if you don't mind, get out of my way."

"Don't call me that!" I exclaimed, feeling a surge of indignation.

I pushed past him, storming away. Jeez, people these days. And to think he was actually kind of cute.

Soaking in the tub is one of the best ways for me to relax. I close my eyes and let the warm water and bubbles soothe my tense muscles. After about 30 minutes, I start to feel a bit pruny, so I reluctantly get out of the tub and dry my body.

Applying my favorite vanilla body lotion, I slip into my cozy pajamas and braid my hair, feeling the weight of the day slowly melt away. Grabbing my laptop, I decide to put on a show. Today has been a long day, and I could use some distraction. As I open my laptop, I notice that I have a few missed calls: Kaiden and my dad. I make a mental note to call them back later.

Checking my social media updates, I see a common story circulating in the news: "Bennett Hathaway Makes First Appearance at Gala Without a Date." That catches my attention. Wait a minute... that dining hall looks familiar. Could it be the same one from tonight?

Curiosity gets the better of me, and I decide to do a quick Google search. I'm shocked to find out that the guy I bumped into earlier is none other than Bennett Hathaway. The name instantly rings a bell. Bennett Hathaway, the son of the famous designer Catalina Hathaway and businessman Roberto Hathaway. He's set to take over the family business when he turns 25, which is this Christmas.

I can't help but recall his striking grey eyes, which were even more beautiful in person. Though he looked handsome on screen, there was something captivating about seeing him in real life. My fingers swipe through a few pictures, and then I stumble upon a shirtless photo. Heat rushes to my cheeks, and I quickly close the laptop. What the hell am I doing?

"God, Lauren, what the hell!" I groan, rolling over and pulling the sheets over my head. I shut down my laptop and turn off the lamp, hoping to clear my mind and get some rest.
———————————————————————
Hey guys!!!
Chapter One finished!!
I hope you enjoyed this new story
Don't forget to
Vote Comment and Share
xoxo
Alpine