Chapter 5: Shivers

(a small trigger warning for mild angst; like insomnia and loneliness)

I close the door behind us and follow Espresso from behind. I pick him up slightly at the waist and then hold him bridal style, hoping for something rude he would say.

"Madeleine... *yawn* Please put me down." He said.

"No, I'm not going to put you down!" I joked, throwing myself onto the bed and him along with. "How was your day so far?" I ask him.

"...A little tiring, but that's mostly everyday."

"so, are you tired right now?" I added pulling him closer while combing my hands through his soft short hair. His body was cold as ice, which is wasn't a few minutes ago. I should ask him what's up with that.

"No, I'm not necessarily tired it's just doing things is tiring. But things must get done so i have to do them." He replies to me, wrapping his hands around my waist. his body is freezing cold, almost like an icicle, and it seemed like he struggled to move closer, which is concerning..

"Well, sometimes you just need a break every now and then. don't overwork yourself ess. and I've been wanting to ask you for a while if you're doing okay but I knew you would just brush it off." I tell him, bringing him in for a hug. I feel him flinch in my arms, and his hands become colder.

"Are you alright? You flinched a little. You also became colder ever since i came home." Espresso went silent for a few seconds, but then answered before I could say something.

"I barely know myself. I know it sounds almost completely idiotic, but that's just how it's always been."

"Has that happened only just now or has this happened before then?"

"...It happened before then, but it's gotten worse. That's why I flinched because your hands are extremely warm. (fucking himbo hands-) That's how body heat and science works, Madeleine."

"I see." I say. "Is it why you've been distancing yourself as well?"
Espresso nodded his head. "I don't want to possibly end up hurting you. I'm immortal, but you're not. Which is why I distance myself but I'm just hurting myself in the end." I look into his brown orbs with reassurance.

"I'll be fine! I assure you, you won't hurt me. It's okay to distance yourself, but it's not healthy to distance yourself too much. and i'm going to stay here until you don't feel cold anymore. it doesn't matter if it takes days, weeks, or longer. I'm going to stay here with you no matter what." I stated, moving his hair out of his face and kissing his cheek. i see his face light up a bit, so i take his glasses off his face and hold them in my hand.

"Mads, give me my glasses back!" he demands, laughing while getting up to try and take them.
"maybe if you say it in your British voice along with a pet-name of mine then maybe, just maybe I'll give you your glasses back" I teased him. He pushes me down while still trying to grab hold of his glasses.

"I can't see without my glasses Leine, give them back!"

"I don't hear any Brit' ish cup o' tea in that voice" i say jokingly, still trying to fight him off. he rolls his eyes at me and says;

"Love, may you kindly give my glasses back? I need them to see and it was extremely disrespectful of you to take them off my face, you absolute country bumpkin arsehole." in his British voice. I caved in, gave him his glasses and started rolling on the floor with laughter.
"YOU SAID COUNTRY BUMPKIN." I say, still laughing on the floor.

"That's exactly why I don't use my British accent that often." he says, going over on the floor with me and cuddling up near me.

"You feel better now? Do you want to stay here or do want to do something else" I ask.
"No, I just want to stay in here with you for the rest of the day. It's already 3:30, so I would like to stay here on the floor." he replies, tucking his head into my shirt collar.

"That's okay, I'm glad that you're feeling much better." I say. "Are you finally giving in?"

"Oh, hush." He chuckled. I opened my mouth to say something, but before I could say something, I hear Espresso softly snoring beside me. "I knew he was exhausted, especially from today. He looks adorable when he's sleeping." I say to myself, I kiss Espresso's forehead, run my hands through his hair and scroll through my phone while he sleeps.
————
791 words.