ix.

Olivia and Rafael sat on a bench as they watched the Noah and Aspen run around the park.
July in the city was hot, not nearly as hot on this day as it could've been, but still warm. Every kid in the park was wearing shorts and a short sleeved shirt, there was yells of delight and occasionally distraught yelps as someone was tagged in a very intense game of hide and seek tag.
Rafael looked so unlike himself in a pair of blue jeans and a cream colored t-shirt. He had a worn pair of Converse on which he claimed were his most casual shoes.
Olivia wore jeans and a loose white blouse. She looked a bit uncomfortable with the idea of being out and about on a work day until she saw how happy and excited the children were to be out in the sunshine.
"How're you feeling?" Rafa bumped his shoulder against hers.
"I'm alright," she smiled over at him, "though, it feels like I stepped into an alternate dimension."
"Is this another comment about my attire?" He rolled his eyes, she hadn't stopped teasing him since he'd come out of the bathroom wearing it.
"It's just nice to see you dress down once in a while."
"Was I supposed to wear a three piece suit to the park?" He quipped.
"No," though the mere image brought a bout of laughter from her, "it would be hilarious, though."
He shook his head at her, an amused smile on his face as he looked back out at the kids playing. He spotted Aspen immediately, despite her attempt to hide for the game. Noah was gone from sight.
Liv wasn't particularly sure she liked this game, she preferred to be able to keep eyes on Noah at all times when they were out and about, following the incredibly traumatic experience with his biological maternal grandmother.
Rafa seemed to sense how tense she was, his hand taking one of hers. He didn't comment or try to  tell her to relax, he just hoped his presence would help.
She squeezed his hand gently as her eyes located the curly hair of her son, peeking from a spot that she'd looked over several times.
Noah saw her looking and gave a small wave and then pressed a finger to his lips as he disappeared back into his spot.
Even as young as he was, he knew she worried.
"I'm thinking lunch and then ice cream after this?" Rafa suggested.
"You're going all out for a family afternoon," Liv commented idly before realizing what she'd said and pausing.
He smiled over at her, the phrase bringing a sense of joy he hadn't been anticipating to his chest.
"Sorry," she mumbled.
"I'm not. That feels like what this is, that's what I think it is."
She pulled her eyes from the spot where Noah continued to hide and looked at the lawyer beside her.
"Is it not a family afternoon?" He asked.
"I like the way it sounds," she replied.
"Not the way it is?" He pressed, momentarily sounding more like a lawyer than he intended.
There was a small part of her that was worried about letting herself go all in. She was worried this was a honeymoon phase for him and he'd soon realize that taking care of two children wasn't just going to be Legos and park trips. It wasn't a big part of her, she knew he wouldn't be here if he didn't want to be. Rafael Barba never put time into something he thought wasn't worthwhile, but she had that small hint of worry that was keeping her from giving in fully.
"I like the way it is," she confirmed.
He heard the moment hesitation but he wasn't too worried, he knew that Liv always had a million things going on in her head. He was enjoying this far more than he'd ever imagined he would. He knew it wasn't going to be all sunshine and rainbows but days like this, days where he could listen to the laughter of the two children he adored with every ounce of himself, days with the woman he loved... he could easily get used to it. He knew that days like this would make any harder days to come worthwhile.
Rafael was all in, he was ready to have people to come home to. He was ready to share a bed every night. He was ready to escape his bachelor pad and trade it in for Legos and bedtime stories. He was excited. He just hoped Liv was, too.

Aspen came running over not long later, a fresh scrape on her knee and sweat matting her flyaway hairs to her forehead, "can I have some water?"
Olivia grabbed the girl's water bottle and handed it to her, "can I look at your knee while you drink?"
Aspen hesitated a moment, "it doesn't hurt too bad. I just fell while I was trying not to get tagged."
"It's okay, sweetie. I just want to make sure that no dirt or anything got in it so it doesn't get infected."
The young girl nodded after a moment and sat down next to Olivia, swinging her legs up so it was easier to see.
Looking it over, Liv reached into her bag and pulled out a small first aid kit, "would it be alright with you if I cleaned it up and gave you a bandaid?"
"Are they cool bandaids?"
Rafa laughed, "cool how?"
"Like Spider-Man or somethin'," Aspen shrugged as she sipped from her water bottle.
"I think," Liv opened the first-aid kit and dug around, "Batman?"
The ponytail on Aspen's head bobbed back and forth as she contemplated, "yeah, he's cool, I guess."
Liv smiled and got to work cleaning Aspen's knee up while she continued to drink some water.
Rafael laughed, "I think Batman is really cool."
"He's just a guy, Rafa. You could be Batman if you had a zillion dollars, too."
He started laughing harder, "oh, you think I could be Batman?"
She shrugged as she sipped her water, "why not?"
That made Rafael pause, she was right. Aside from the money, why couldn't he be? Which only made him laugh harder.
"I don't know what he thinks is so funny," Aspen said to Olivia, "Batman is literally just a guy."
Liv smiled as she placed the bandage on the girl's knee, "I think he thinks the idea of him in a Batman suit is funny."
Aspen looked at her knee and nodded, "maybe. Maybe he's just a weirdo."
Liv chuckled, "maybe we're all weirdos, kiddo. Being weird isn't necessarily a bad thing."
Holding her water bottle out toward Liv, "I think you're right. Rafa, can you push me on a swing when you stop laughing?"
He took a few moments more to calm down and then nodded, "of course, let's go."
And then they were gone.
Noah came over not long later and plopped down on the bench beside his mom.
"How you doin', momma?" He looked up at her.
She wrapped an arm around his shoulder, "I think I'm doing okay. How are you?"
A big smile spread across his face and he nodded, "I really like having a little sibling. You promise she can stay?"
Liv considered for a moment, "right now it's only a temporary order. Hopefully, soon, if the investigation goes well, we'll be able to make it permanent."
His brow furrowed a bit, "it's possible she might not be able to?"
"It's likely she will, I just don't want to make any promises until I'm certain," Liv gave him a smile, "but you don't have to worry about it, okay?"
"Okay," he sighed a little, "are we gonna move?"
"We may have to," she nodded, "is that okay?"
"I think it would be okay," he nodded a little, his curly hair bouncing some as he did.
"Do you have more worries or questions?"
"Is Uncle Rafa gonna stay, too? I really like having him around again and he seems so happy," he looked toward where the man had run off.
"I really hope he will," Liv followed his gaze.
Rafael was laughing as he pushed Aspen on the swing, she had never seen him look so relaxed.
"He does seem really happy," he voice was soft.
"Are you gonna marry Uncle Rafa?" Noah asked, still looking that direction.
"Maybe eventually," she admitted, "would that be okay?"
"I think it would be cool," Noah turned to give her a smile.
"Yeah?"
"I think this will be good for our team," he turned back to look at Rafa and Aspen, "I think our little family team of two could be a family team of four."
Liv felt as though her heart could explode in that moment, she pulled Noah into a hug and tucked her face into his curly mop of hair.
"Mom," he groaned.
She pressed a kiss to his head and released him, "I'm sorry, I know. I'm embarrassing you."
He looked up at her, "it's okay. Do you have any juice?"
Liv caught Rafa looking at her and saw the look asking if she was alright, she gave a small nod and then dug into her bag and grabbed a juice box for Noah.
Her phone started ringing as Noah sipped his juice box.
He leaned against her as he was once again nervous that this phone call meant she would have to leave.
She gave him a squeeze as she answered the phone, "Benson."
"Hey, Cap," it was Fin.
"Hi, what's going on?"
"Would you and Barba mind coming in for like fifteen minutes? It'll probably be short, so you could bring the kids."
A nervous ball began in her chest, "did you find something?"
"We should talk in person."
"When?"
"Whenever you can."
"You're making me nervous, Fin."
"I'll see you when you get here."
And he was gone.
Rafa came rushing over, as though the look on her face was enough to alert him.
"What's wrong?" He asked.
"Fin wouldn't tell me. Said we should talk in person."
"I can stay with the kids."
"He said we both had to hear this, but it shouldn't be long? So bring the kids?" Liv sounded distant and confused.
"Let's go. We can get lunch afterwards," Rafa said, he knew if Liv sat with this she'd assume the words... but so would he.