x.

While at lunch, Rafael and Olivia took the time to inform the children of the current situation. Both of them were just as determined as Rafa to retrieve the lost members of their family.
Noah immediately swore he'd help Lucy with the younger kids and Aspen agreed with him. Both of them were bright beyond their years and Olivia knew that they would make this easier than it seemed like it was going to be.

Now, settled back in at the apartment, Rafael had his arm around Liv while they watched a movie.
Aspen had fallen asleep with her head in Rafael's lap and Noah was sitting in the chair with his back against one arm and his legs over the other.
Rafa's free hand was scrolling on his phone, digging through a list of Rita's rental properties that were available or would be in the coming weeks.
He tilted his phone to show her an apartment.
She took the phone and looked through the photos, she recognized the building. It was only a few blocks from where they sat. The apartment was a multi-story penthouse, it had four bedrooms and three bathrooms, one of which was part of the master suite. She flipped through the photos and realized the master suite had a small room with built-in bookshelves off the bedroom.
"Office," Rafa pointed and whispered.
There was one bedroom and a bathroom that shared a floor with the master suite and the living room. The lower floor was the kitchen and dining, the third bathroom, and the last two bedrooms. It was in the same school district Noah was already attending and only added a few minutes to Liv's commute. It was a nice apartment.
"There may be enough room for two desks and a small couch or couple of chairs in that office space and it's right off the master," Rafa said, "I think it would be a really good set up, you would have a place to work on paperwork after hours at home rather than being cooped up alone in your office when everyone else has gone home."
"We're not supposed to bring case files home," she replied softly, "but it looks like a wonderful place. Is there a reason you're not showing me the price?"
He reached over and slid a finger along the screen to show her the price.
Her eyes went so wide that he was worried they might fall out of her head. It was lower than she thought it would be but still more than she could afford if she was on her own.
"Are we really doing this?" She looked at him.
"Can I see?" Noah looked over.
Rafael looked at Noah, he'd thought the boy had been so entranced in the movie that he would notice the conversation.
Liv knew better than to underestimate Noah's ability to pay attention to his surroundings, she tapped the arm of the couch.
He came over, climbed onto the arm of the couch and leaned against her to look at the photos.
"If you put me and Aspen downstairs, the younger boys could be upstairs with you in case they got scared in the night," he said softly.
"That would be okay with you?" Liv asked.
"Yeah, either that or you could have Aspen upstairs with you and I could help look after the others," he continued.
Liv's heart hurt with how full it was and how proud she was to be able to say Noah is her son. He flew into big brother mode the moment he met Aspen and he was ready to take these changes on just as well, and better, than she and Rafael.
"You're sure you're okay with all of this?" Liv questioned him.
"These are my little siblings, momma. All three of them. We gotta bring them home."
"Fin is working on it, sweet boy, we can't make any promises, though because of the way the system works," she reached up and ruffled his hair with her free hand.
Rafael felt a pang in his chest at those words, he knew she was right but he hoped it wouldn't be the case. He was all in on her, on this little family in the room, and he was hopeful for the two they had yet to meet.
Noah nodded, understanding, "even if the system is mean, this place would work for us four. The extra bedroom could be a guest room or a playroom or a kid office where we do homework or somethin'."
Liv laughed softly at the idea of a 'kid office', she nodded in agreement.
"This was the best option I've seen so far. I can keep looking, though," Rafa offered.
Liv looked at Noah.
He shook his head, "too many choices makes me nervous."
She smiled and looked at Rafael, "I'm inclined to agree with him."
Rafael chuckled softly and looked at the two of them, "I'll send Rita a message and see what we can work out."
Aspen started to stir, having napped for an hour or so by this point. She rolled over and yawned, looking up at Rafa, Liv, and Noah.
"Mornin'," she mumbled as she rubbed at her eyes.
Rafa brought a hand to brush some hair from her face gently and smiled, "did you rest well?"
She nodded a little, yawning again. Her brown hair was falling out of the ponytail every which way, her face had a tinge of pink from the sun, and her green eyes were still sleepy.
"You fell asleep so fast," Noah commented, "one minute you were talking and the next you were just completely asleep."
"She was keeping up with you at the park. You guys played hard today, I'm surprised you haven't napped," Olivia said to the young boy.
He smiled at her, "I wasn't saying it was a bad thing, momma. It was just amazing how quickly she fell asleep."
Liv smiled back.