CHAPTER ONE - THE GRAND OPENING

HAWKINS HIGH

HAWKINS HIGH.

A normal highs school, a normal day, a normal pep-rally.

Those were the words that Astoria Jones was repeating over and over in her head, her hands shaking her pom-poms nervously as she stumbled around doing the tedious cheer routine. 

Trumpets blared in the background and people cheered from the bleachers, no one really paying any mind to the fact that Astoria was practically having a panic attack mid-routine.

When the routine finally finishes, basketball players rip through a sheet of paper. Nothing too dramatic, but the crowd still screeched like car brakes. Everything from then on was blurry, except for the mention of the infamous Mall Fire.

Astoria exhales sharply in annoyance as Jason Carver drones on about the speech he had given the team last game. Heather's name is mentioned and Astoria freezes. Heather was a family-friend, and Jason was trying to say that she died so they could win a basket-ball game?

She sends a glare to Chrissy, and the strawberry-blonde tilts her head down in an apologetic way, muttering a 'sorry!'. Astoria nods slowly in appreciation and waves her pom-poms once final time before sitting down.

She looks beside her to glance at Chrissy. Astoria's best-friend had been acting off lately. 

This morning, they were hanging out in the girl's car painting their nails when Chrissy zoned out. And not just a 'oops she got lost in her thoughts' zoned out. The zoned out she means is: 'eyes literally rolled to the back of her head like she's been possessed by the devil'.

When Astoria asked her what happened, Chrissy shakily replied, "There was a clock." And then ran out of the car. Astoria had felt offended at first, but she had a feeling deep in her stomach that she needed to push those feelings aside and focus on the real problem: having to save Chrissy.

From what-- she didn't know. But she was determined to find out. After all, everyone had been on edge lately in Hawkins. No stone was left unturned, the school's receptionist would call the police if a student was only one minute late. Theories scream in Astoria's brain.

She was exposed to dangerous toxins like Barbara!

It was the devil!

She has a mental illness!

Astoria truly hoped that none of her theories were true. 

-

Bang!

 A loud stamp on the table silences the cafeteria as they all look up to face Eddie Munson. Astoria scoffs, of course. Eddie has always been known to put on a show. Normally, Astoria would ignore his meaningless words, but today was particularly boring.

So maybe she would entertain it, just this once. 

He clears his throat. "But, as long as you're into band. Or science... or parties," He announces sneeringly. Eddie carries on, raising his voice, "Or a game where you toss balls into laundry baskets!"

Astoria boos cruelly along with the other people at her table and throws a middle-finger up at Eddie. As Jason is just starting to walk to the table with his tray, he speaks up, "You want something, freak?"

The boy on the table must've found this amusing, because he mockingly makes devil ears with his fingers and makes a sound which Astoria can't even comprehend. Something along the lines of: "Bleleleghhgeuj!"

Jason, being the god-loving religious boy that he is, backs down. Astoria wants to scream.

For once can this guy not be a pussy? I mean it's Eddie Munson against the star Basket-ball player, it's obvious that he'll win! Eddie catches Astoria's gaze and smirks smugly. She rolls her eyes and averts her gaze to Chrissy.

Eddie walks back down the table, jumping off and saying something about killing kids. Astoria ignores it as Jason wraps an arm around Chrissy. He chuckles dryly, "They're all Satanists, I'm telling you. They're probably the reason the mall burnt down."

The two girls nod in agreement before Astoria starts playing with her food. Silence fills the table for a few minutes. Out of nowhere, Chrissy laughs nervously, Astoria looks up and gives her a confused look. No one had said anything funny.

It seems as though she's about to tell Jason something before a guy comes up to the lunch table and greets him. "Let's win this game, man!" All the players cheer in agreement. Astoria looks back at Eddie as he grabs two boys by the collars of their shirts. 

Then it hits her.

When Chrissy had zoned-out, Astoria thought that she had looked as though she had been possessed by the devil. And if Eddie and the rest of the Hellfire Club were really Satanists (which was looking likely) then they probably knew how to posses someone.

It was stupid, but maybe she could flirt her way into the freaks' group and make them take the curse off Chrissy. Astoria didn't really believe that much in curses or magic stuff like that, but she needed to save her friend, and this theory was a start.

And, who knows? Maybe if she gets them to admit to Satanism they'll all be expelled. She cheered silently; she hadn't had proof of her 'trying to get Eddie expelled' accusations before. This time she actually had a chance.

Everyone cheers, and although Astoria doesn't know what they're cheering about, she claps. "Bada-bada-boom!" One of them says. She silently agrees, bada-bada-boom. 

The girl was looking forward to the death of the hellfire club, and the death of her enemy since the Hawkins Middle Talent show: Eddie Munson.

--

[A/N]

hi! new note because i rewrote this chapter! i'm gonna be re-writing most chapters because im bored and the new part of the season doesn't come out until july 1st so until then i'm gonna be rewriting and editing. some parts of the story may change so i HIGHLY reccomend you re-read after part 2 comes out so u know what's gonna be happening (the editing will be finished by then)

please let me know how i did!

Please remember to vote, comment (I'll respond to most if I get the chance), add to your reading lists. Whatever you do PLEASE do not be a ghost reader!!!!!

-eustelia xoxo

words: 1096

---------------

---------------