CHAPTER NINE - MORDOR

The two are fiercely tossed into the portal

The two are fiercely tossed into the portal. Red gleams in the sky, and cold wet vines slither around the two as their hands grip onto each other for reassurance that they were still alive.

Totally, that was the reason.

Bats swarmed around threatenly. Getting up quickly, they started puncturing the monsters with the wooden oar. The gooey insides splatter onto Astoria's cheerleading uniform. 

Which just reminds her of Chrissy, and that she hasn't changed and it's been almost 5 days. She must smell disgusting. Even more so now, with the dead bat parts all over her once clean skirt.

The loud chattering of the beasts hurt their ears; that wasn't the worst of their problems right now. Steve was being strangled on the ground, gasping for air. At least a chunk of his abs were cut off (which Astoria thought was really the worst of the damage.)

"Kill it! Kill it!" Eddie shouts, holding an one arm in front of Astoria (the other latching tightly to her hand) to keep her away from the bats. "Yeah, Eddie, I think that's what their trying to do!" The creatures bayed, obviously gathering for a mass attack, "Shit!" 

One dived for Eddie, and Astoria jumps in front of him, smacking it to the ground. "Get.. away.. you.. piece.. of.. shit!" She says between breaths. Wiping her forehead, she looks up.

There were more coming, a lot more.

"Nancy, come on please!" Robin shouts, still attacking the bat that had Steve in a chokehold.

 Eddie's eyes widened as he trailed Astoria's eyes to where she was looking. He turned to Nancy, and his eyes widened even more. "Nancy behind you, watch out!"

Nancy yelped as she kneeled over and the bat took tried to take chunk out of her back. "Oh my god, Nance!" "Robin, get it off of me!" Nancy screeches as Robin attempts to tug it off.

Another bat died, "I've got this one," Eddie says confidently. As it zoomed closer, he affirmed to himself his voice rising the closer it got, "I've got it, got it, got it, got it!" He hit it, but his oar was snapped in half in the process. 

"Shit!"

Steve managed to finally get that monster that was choking him off, grabbing it tightly to make sure it didn't get away. The dark-haired girl stabbed it with her oar, "You ate the abs, go to hell!"

Once all the bats attacking are dealt with, there's a few moments of peace. The calm before the storm, Astoria thinks. "Steve!" Nancy says, running to Steve to see if he's OK. 

And quite clearly, he wasn't.

"Jesus H. Christ!" Eddie says angrily, slamming his oar to the ground. Astoria looks at him with a brow raised. "Calm dow--" "Calm down, Astoria? Hm? We almost fucking died!"

The girl raises her arms in protest. "God, you're so stupid," He mutters. Astoria turns to him with an offended look. "Excuse me? I was just trying to make sure you didn't die of shock, cos' that would've really sucked for the both of us."