CHAPTER TWO - THE HELLFIRE CLUB

"SO YOU HAVE TO MISS THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, SO YOU CAN GO TO THE HELLFIRE CLUB?"

"Pretty much," Astoria replies, and Chrissy's eyes widen. For a second, Astoria thinks that the girl is going into another zone-out. Chrissy laughs nervously, "OK, fine, Eddie's not that bad anyway--" 

"What!" 

The queen of Hawkins High, thought that Eddie Munson wasn't that bad? Astoria almost pinched herself. "I'm just saying, like I was talking to him the other day and he was actually really nice," Chrissy smiles giddily. Now it was Astoria's turn to widen her eyes.

"Let me get this straight, you talked to Eddie Munson. Like-- a full on conversation?" Chrissy nods slowly, looking down in an ashamed way. 

The queen was aware how much Astoria hated him, but she also was aware that her best friend was into guys who were tall, nice hair, and although Astoria would never admit it, that description did kind of  fit Eddie. Plus, it was always fun to match-make.

Astoria sighs, standing up, "Whatever just find a sub for me or something." There was a moment of silence as Chrissy rustles through her bags for her English book. A crumpled bit of paper catches Astoria's eyes, and before Chrissy could tell her not to grab it, she grabbed it.

The toilets, puke, vomiting.

Mom.

Screaming, a monster.

She scanned the paper swiftly and noted the fact that it looked rushed and messy. "What is this?" Chrissy's head dropped as she grabbed the paper back and shoved it into her bag. "It's nothing, you weren't here, it was one of Mrs. Grabowski's short story things."

Astoria flashes her a look of scepticism. "You zoned-out again, didn't you? Because I know for a fact that Mrs. Grabowski would not ask you to write a short story about something as horrifying as that." Chrissy sighed in defeat as Astoria urged her to tell her what was going on with her.

"I-- can't tell you." The dark-haired girl glares at her. Chrissy adds, "Because I don't know what it is." Astoria softens up, "Can you at least describe it?"

Chrissy looks down and exhales before speaking again speedily. "It's like this big, slimy, wrinkly creature. It has your bad memories stored in his brain and it'll show you them and there's always this grandfather clock and it all feels so real. And then, when the creatures about to catch you, you wake up." 

Astoria purses her lips, that was a lot.

The queen looks at Astoria and just hopes that her friend will believe her, hopes that she'll hug her and tell her that she knows how to fix her. Because, Chrissy knows that this creature will catch her at some point, she just hopes they figure out how to save her before then.

"I know it sounds stupid," Chrissy whispers quietly. "No, no, it doesn't sound stupid Chrissy," Astoria affirms. "Everyone's been on edge lately it's probably just like some sort of mental illness, you'll be okay, just like, talk to the school counsellor or something."