07 Lightning

What shall we say to the embers in your eyes?

Mahmoud Darwish

Him

"Congratulations on your nikkah, sayidi."

"Thank you, Daud." He tugs forward his horse under a shade and ties it before asking his servant, "Any news from Qahira?"

Daud shakes his head. "You don't need to worry, my Ameer. All must be well there. You should be celebrating your wedding."

He gives him a brisk nod before they get inside their shelter for the night. Daud gives him a curious glance and he tilts his head questioningly at his servant who clears his throat.

"Aren't you happy, sayidi? You'll be with your wife again."

His eyebrows knit together. "Of course I am, Daud."

"Then what is it that has you so quiet? I see the worry in your eyes."

He smiles at the way he has seen through him. Surely they've come a long way, and surely he has become a friend. He shakes his head at him.

"My wife has jumped into the fire with me, Daud. She doesn't realize what she has gotten herself into. But I have no heart to keep her away from myself any longer." His lids flutter shut, the image of her kohl rimmed eyes glowing like embers overwhelming his mind. "I cannot," he admits silently to himself. "But how do I keep her from burning with me?"

 "But how do I keep her from burning with me?"

Her

The day of the banquet is spent greeting people and exchanging congratulations. There are faces she recognizes, friends and families, and there are those which she doesn't. She goes through the event alternating between mingling around and sitting out alone. And by the time it's about to wrap up, she's drained to the bones.

Unlike her, Laleh is as excited as she was at the start of the day. The grin hasn't left her face for a second and her hazel green eyes are vibrant with joy as fresh as before. She has been on her feet all the time, sometimes on her own greeting and chatting with people, other times her husband by her side. Eskander appears stoic and composed. But he appears happy. Noura smiles as she watches them together.

The sky today has been dark with the clouds but it wasn't raining. At least not yet. But she can see it coming anytime soon. She sits by the shade of a tree with Roya. Her mother has been busy with the guests but occasionally stole moments to give her company. They've only half a day and a night left before she says goodbye to her family. It brings a dull ache in her heart which she has been able to mask expertly, for the sake of herself and everyone else. It will get better, all of everything, she tells herself.

"Eskander agha and Laleh khanum look so good together," Roya comments, following her gaze where they're engaged in conversation with another couple. "They're made for each other."