40 Childhood

She is the noor of my eyes and the sultan of my heart.

Khalid Hosseini

Him

"Baba?"

"Yes, habibi?"

"Can I be a Khalifa someday?"

"What makes you ask this, son?"

"Noura asked if I can be a king one day. I told her I'll ask my baba."

"Do you want to be?"

"Yes."

"Then you can be."

"But you're not the Khalifa. He said I can't be either if you aren't."

"Who said it?"

"Sulaiman."

"You're my brave son, namer (tiger). Whether I'm the caliph or not, doesn't matter. If you've the will and wit for it, you'll claim the title one day. Remember, the one who is born with a privilege isn't the same as the one who climbs his way to the top, because it's always the latter making a difference by bringing a change. With the former one, this is a mundane expectation anyway. So don't allow anyone to dictate you and limit your determination. Now go, tiger, and if Noura asks you again, tell her that yes, you can be a Khalifa one day."

He picks up the glass half-filled with water, twirling it lazily, elbow resting on the armrest of his seat. His eyes connect with Sulaiman's across the room. He lifts the glass to his mouth, lips stretching devilishly across its rim. Today is the day he proves himself. Adam smiles.

 Adam smiles

Her

"Al'umara' alkiram (honorable princes)," the council head addresses them. "After a thorough discussion amongst the wise advisors of this council and giving it much thought, we've come to the conclusion to pass the verdict that will preserve the life and the rights of each prince for their betterment and the betterment of the future of this kingdom."

Noura releases the breath she didn't know she was holding. A weight drops off her chest. It is half victory she has achieved, halfway already down to the great reward. Her worries have subsided. For now if she never even reaches the end goal, she has managed to secure her husband's life and rights with the passing of this verdict.

"No prince has the right to kill another prince unless a prince is charged for treason. No false charges shall be accepted against any prince unless the charges are investigated and confirmed by the council. Disobedience of council orders or any rebellion against it will result in the guilty prince ousted from heirship to the throne and severe punishment in the form imprisonment, exile, or even execution."