38 Power

You are at once both the quiet and the confusion of my heart.

Franz Kafka

— Franz Kafka

Sulaiman

The winds of the dawn blow steady and cold. The sky is a darker shade of blue and gray, and the clouds up above are lined by the sun rays. She's up so early when the palace is quiet, and he from his balcony observes her keenly. In her dress the color of the garden, her figure blends away into the green of it.

There is a lightning far in the distance, the rain on its way to them, and thunder rumbles low in the air. The handmaiden with her helps her wear a cloak, a color much deeper and different that makes her stand out in the surrounding now, no more fading into it. She continues her stroll.

There is opening and closing of his chamber doors. A few servants set the table for breakfast. He remains on his spot. His guard comes to him to take any orders.

"What is the status of the prince?" he asks him.

"He's stable, my Ameer."

"Awake?"

"Not yet, sayidi. He's under the effects of the concoctions. But the physician says he'll recover soon."

"And Eskander?"

"The same, sayidi."

Sulaiman hums, dismissing the guard with a wave of his hand. He tips his head and leaves.

She's joined by a company now. He can see the conversation taking place between them. The expanse of his gardens are far stretched before him, his eyes might tire roaming them, but his eyes don't move from her. And they don't tire studying her.

"You came into my life and wrecked chaos in it. Beautifully first. Then devastatingly later." He places his hands on the handrails and leans forward. "Why did this heart ever incline towards you?"

There is opening of his chamber doors as someone comes in again. He turns away from the handrail towards the balcony entrance. Jumana smiles at him.

"Sabah al khaiyr, Sulaiman."

He makes his way towards her and returns her greetings, "Sabah al nour, Jumana."

He places a hand on her back, guiding her towards the breakfast table. They sit down on the cushions to eat.

"You haven't been joining me for the meals lately. I kept waiting for you last night," she comments.

"You know how things are these days. I prefer to be alone."

"I hope you did not mind me coming here?"

He only shakes his head and begins to fill their plates. She helps him with it.

"The first council meeting is today," she says. "I know recently you've been dealing with a lot, so I wanted to come offer my support. You know I'm always with you, through thick and thin, no matter the outcome of these meetings and the final decision of the council."