━━ NOT A CHILD

( 3.01 )

( i ain't a kid no more we'll never be those kids again )

we'll never be those
kids again )

A FULL YEAR had passed since Nani had decided to stay in Hawkins. And Nani could now confidently say she was happy with her decision. She enjoyed being able to hang out with friends like a normal teenager instead of running around hunting scientists.

Nancy and Nani hung out practically everyday before. Well, before Nancy decided to get a job. Eleven and Nani spent a lot of time together too but most of the time Nani just had to listen ( not by choice ) to El and Mike make out and being all lovey━dovey with each other. Max would come over every now and then when Mike was over to distract her from the strangely loud noises of the two teens kissing.

Because of those two factors, Nani had been spending a decent amount of her time at the Scoops Ahoy ice cream parlor in the new mall. It's where Steve got a job recently so she would stay out of sight in the break room and hang out with Steve while he was off.

When Steve was working, she'd talk with Robin, Steve's co━worker. Nani really liked Robin. They were both pretty similar and had somethings in common. Robin had also expanded Nani's music taste and let her use her walkman when both her and Steve were out front working.

And that's where she was now. She was eating ice cream in the break room with Steve, talking about school. Steve was stressing about whether he should at least trying to go to a community college or just give it up completely. Nani had never gone to school before but she still knew basic reading, writing and math.

While Steve rambled, Nani could hear the bell on the counter get hit over and over before Robin called out to Steve.

"Hey, dingus! Your children are here." She told him in her usual sarcastic tone making Nani smile as Steve rushed over to the window, sliding it open and leaning against the counter in front of him and looking at the kids, almost in shock.

"Again? Seriously?"

All he got in response was another ring from the bell to which he rolled his eyes, the kids taking that as their cue to move around the counter and let Steve bring them to the back so they could get to the movie theater, Max and Nani sharing a small greeting as they passed her.

Not long after the kids had left, the power had gone out. Nani was alone in the back, sitting on the counter by the window. She adjusted herself a little to open the sliding window to look out to see Robin and Steve. She saw Steve flicking the light back and forth like it would just magically turn the power back on.

"That isn't gonna work dingus."

Nani wasn't sure what it was but once the power went out, she got this weird feeling her stomach. Like something was wrong. But it didn't feel like intuition, it felt like power. Like the looming energy and presence she felt when she was around Will last year.

The power came back on pretty soon after, making Nani brush the feeling off. It couldn't have been anything more than a power outage anyways. The gate was closed.

━━

Nani tried her best to quietly sneak into the cabin while staying undetected by Hopper. She had gone home with Robin after her shift ended as Robin wanted to show her "the greatest movies" of all time. But Nani had ended up falling asleep making her rush home on the her bike ( which she had recently learned how to ride thanks to max ).

"Where have you been?" She heard the loud booming voice of Hopper as she was closing the front door, making her spin around quickly.

"I was just with━━"

"If you stay Steve, I swear you will never see the light of day again young lady!" He cut her off before she could even explain herself.

They're relationship had grown in the last year but Nani was still closed off. No matter how hard Hopper tried, she wouldn't connect.

She wanted to. She really did. But she was new to this. The last "dad" she had wasn't exactly a great example but it's all she knew and it would probably be all she would ever know. Looking at the birth certificate that had her name on it with Hoppers last name attached making him officially her father, all she could think about was Brenner and she didn't know if she'd ever be able to not think about him.

"It wasn't Steve!" She had no clue why he would think that. "It was Robin." She explained, her voice much quieter than it previously was.

"R-Robin? Who the hell is Robin?"

"She works with St━━"

"Steve!" The older man cut her off once more, throwing his hands up as he yelled. "So you were with Steve last night?"

"No! No I stayed with Robin!"

"Why don't I believe you?"

"I don't know Jim sense I'm being completely truthful!" She yelled, over this entire situation and started walking over to her bedroom. Before she could make it, Hopper was in front of her and blocking her door.

"Don't walk away from me! You're my kid now so you'll follow my rules and listen to what I have to say!"

"Legally. Legally I'm your kid, daughter, whatever! But i'm not a child. I can make my own decisions and defend myself!"

She wasn't a child. A child doesn't go through the things she's gone through. A child doesn't have the power to control people and manipulate their emotions. No matter what her age was, she wasn't a child.

"Yes! Yes, you are a ch━━"

He didn't get a chance to finish what he was gonna say as his mouth closed shut, and he moved to the side and out of Nani's way. He looked down at the girl as she pulled up the strap of her backpack that she had on and wiped the dripping blood from her nose before she walked into her room.

BONNIE SPEAKS!!w
nani always had that
damn backpack on
nothing really eventful
happened this chapter
but it's kinda just see
what she's been up to and
her relationships with everyone.
might double update today.
anyways. SEASON 4?!?!!!?!!
i loved it and i'm so excited
to write it