The Best Substitue

Penny pov* 

Swinging through the city has always been Penny's favorite after school activity. Nothing felt quite as good as and free falling through the air, the sun in her eyes. It felt like freedom. Control. 

Those were two things Penny felt she was lacking in lately. Ever since she got bit by this Spider her life has been thrown upside down, but Penny has focused on making the best out of her situation. Helping May at the shelter, helping Mr. Delmar at the deli, helping the little guy on the street who has no one looking out for them. It has been 4 years since she was bitten and life finally seems to be lifting up for Penny. 

Penny wanted to make a difference. So she became Spider-Girl and it gave her the best feeling ever. For the first time in forever, swinging through the air, stopping bad guys around every corner she felt joy. Happiness. 

Now Penny Parker wasn't a blatant optimist, she knew the world was dark and ugly and cruel. But Penny knew she would not contribute to that darkness, she would try to be a light. 

And thats exactly what Penny was trying to do today, landing in an alley and changing quickly while trying not to trip over and land on her face. Penny skipped into the Queens community center. The sign outside read 'kids science club'. Penny wanted to volunteer for something outside of F.E.A.S.T and May mentioned this club in need of a leading mentor for a week while the local community college professor who normal ran the club was out of town. 

Penny threw open the doors to their assigned room, several small round tables took up the room with chairs surrounding them, a teachers L-shaped desk in the corner, a large white board and a few boxes of supplies up on a front table. Cabinets line the walls and most of full of other school supplies. Penny smiled at the little toothpick and clay ball atoms that sat on one table, left drying from the previous weeks activity. 

Going to work setting up her activity for the day, Penny was following the lesson plan given to her by the normal teacher. Since they covered and made different atoms last week they would be talking about elements and mixtures this week. 

Soon kids come shuffling in, many coming from the elementary schools near by. "Welcome Everyone! I'm Miss Penny, find a seat and we can start our lesson soon!" 13 kids filled the seats, talking and giggling to themselves while Penny finished setting up the activities for the kids. 

"Alright everyone, as I said earlier I'm Miss Pen-" Penny is interrupted by the door opening again and a loud voice. "I'm so sorry I'm late!" A little girl rushes in with brown curls wearing a private school uniform, Penny doesn't recognize the logo on the shirt but she doesn't know the nearby schools all that well anyway.

With a bright smile Penny waves this girl to a seat, "thats okay, we were just getting started.  As I was saying I'm Miss Penny, I am covering for Mr. Elis while he is on vacation. Today we will be learning about elements and mixtures! You also get to take you atoms from last week home today!" 

Penny goes into explaining the lesson, using sand, salt and pepper to explain elements and solutions before using m&m's and pretzels to explain a elements and mixtures. She then allows the kids to make their own snack mixtures and work on the worksheet provided by Mr. Elis. 

Going around the room helping each kid, Penny stops and the girl in the uniforms seat. She choose to sit at a table all on her own instead of at any of the open seats at the other tables. 

"So show me your mixture" Penny grins, crouching down next to the girls chair. A bright smile and eager eyes meet with Penny's "I made a mixture with pretzels, m&m's, marshmallows and goldfish! Here Miss Penny" the little girl hands her a marshmallow and a m&m.