Chapter 4

Dustin explained to us what's been happening lately. He told us about Max and how they temporarily saved her and added more information about Vecna.

"Steve! Do you have any more headphones and cassettes in your bag?" Dustin turns to Steve. "Are you kidding? As soon as we figured out that they help I stacked up in case one of you goes through what Max went through," Steve answers opening his backpack.

"Now, we don't have many options, but here, pick something," Steve says as he takes out all the cassettes. I look through them and pick out a 'Queen' album. "So what now? Do I play it constantly or only when Vecna comes?" I ask looking at the group. 

"Well, the cassette player's battery won't last 24 hours so maybe you should put the song on in a few hours?" Steve suggests. "You didn't bring extra batteries?! You always tell me to bring batteries!" Dustin yells at Steve. "Yeah, yeah. My bad."

A moment passes when Dustin realizes something.

"Wait," Dustin says as he looks down at his compass. "That's not north,"  he adds in confusion.

"That must mean-. Holy shit! I think I know how to find the gate!" Dustin realizes. Everybody looks at him with confused expressions. 

"When there is an incredibly strong electromagnetic field, the needle deflects towards it. And the only thing that I know that can do that is the gate,"  Dustin explains. "We need to go check it out," he finishes.

"Hold on, we can't just walk around here. Eddie is a wanted man. Plus, we don't have any weapons or anything," I try to reason.

"We're not gonna go through the gate, we just need to find it. It's the only chance we have at saving you three," Dustin says as he points at me, Eddie and Max.

Everybody turns to Eddie. "You're asking me to follow you into Mordor, which I think is a very bad idea. But the Shire is burning. So Mordor it is," Eddie says as he stands up.

"What is Mordor?" Steve asks himself as everybody starts walking off. "It's from 'Lord of the rings'. Basically a very bad place," I tell Steve as I walk off as well. 

Eddie hears what I said and comes up to me. "Rock bands and 'Lord of the rings' knowledge. Where have you been my whole life?" He jokes as he walks along with me. "In a galaxy far far away," I joke as well.

"Star wars too? Careful. One might think you're also a nerd," Eddie comments. "Never said I wasn't."

We walk in silence for a bit.

"How are you? I realized that with everything going on I forgot about the whole suspect thing," I ask Eddie.

"Well, it definitely sucks. You know, I said I would finally graduate this year. Doubt that will happen now," Eddie replies looking down at his feet.

"It'll work out one way or another," I assure him by taking his hand in mine. He looks up and smiles.

What seems like an eternity later, we stop at a lake.

"The gate must be down there," Dustin says looking at his compass.

We all walk over to the boat Eddie and I left earlier.

Eddie gets on the boat and stretches out his hand for me to get on.

"Yeah guys, I'm gonna stay here and watch the children," Robin tells us.

"Children?" Dustin replies offended.

As Steve and Nancy got on the boat we started to move.

"Wait, wait. Stop here," Nancy says as the compass starts going crazy.

"What are you doing?" I ask Steve as he starts taking off his shoes. "Someone has to go down there. I'm the best swimmer here. No complaints," Steve replies getting ready to jump in.

"Not complaining," Eddie and I say at the same time.

"So... this is like a regular thing for you guys? Looking for gates to other dimensions and stuff?" Eddie asks us as Steve jumps in the water.

"Pretty much." "Yeah."

A minute passes and Steve suddenly reappears from underwater. "I found it! I found the gate."

We all help him on the boat when I notice something near Steve's leg. Thinking it was just a fish I smack it away, but it grabs me.

The next thing I know, I'm being pulled deeper and deeper underwater.

_________________

Thank you for reading!

Update coming soon.

Meanwhile, enjoy this photo that is now my wallpaper: