𝐨. don't stop believin'

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧—prologue: don't stop believin'

"PACK YOUR THINGS. WE'RE LEAVING." The door to Montana Barlowe's bedroom opens, her mother peeking inside. The woman looked upset, as if she had been crying. The girl felt bad for her. Her parents had just gotten into a very serious argument a few days ago. Monty had caught her father cheating on her mother while the woman was at work, so when she had returned home, the girl had told her everything.

Montana had been yelled at by her father only a few minutes after she snitched, and told she would be staying in her room for the rest of the day. Her guitar had been smashed to pieces in a fit of rage. She's never thrown a tantrum before.

Now she sits there, quietly on her bed, splintered wood that she never cleaned up days prior laying everywhere on the floor. She looks up at her mother, nodding silently. She climbs off of her bed and peeks under it, seeing her black and white Siberian cat, Wiley, lay down in his own bed, staring back at her.

The girl sighs, walking across the room to grab her suitcase and begin packing. She decided to only pack all of her necessary things, like her favorite outfits, her camera, her guitar picks, her vinyl records, her record player, a few pictures, and Wiley's bed and a few of his toys. On the other hand, her Sony Walkman with her headphones and her many music tapes were the only things not going in her suitcase since she needed something to do during the car ride. Everything else would be left here. Robert would probably throw them out or light them on fire.

Wiley trots across the room, going into his open cat carrier. He seemed to know what was going on. He was a very smart cat. Montana closes the latch on the carrier and picks it up. She also picks up her Penny board that was propped up against the wall and carries it under her arm as she drags her suitcase out of her room. Her younger sister, Marissa, and her older brother, Achilles, also have their things packed, and are headed downstairs with her.

Robert was pacing the kitchen as the three siblings walked past. He was ignoring them, though, as if they weren't even there. As if they've never existed. His anger was radiating throughout the house, Montana could tell, but he wasn't going to be able to do or say anything that would make the kids and their mother say here in this side of Hawkins, Indiana.

They leave the house soon after, Montana walking ahead of them, wanting to get to the car as soon as possible. She opens the trunk and puts her suitcase in, then climbs in the backseat, where her Penny board rests under her feet on the floor and Wiley's cat carrier sits on her lap. She pulls out her headphone and Sony Walkman, inserting a tape into the music player. Marissa is sitting beside her, legs propped up in the middle seat as she leans against the back right passenger door. A book was open in her lap—The Hobbit.

The front passenger door opens and Achilles sits down, slamming the door shut. He's silent as he waits for their mother to get in the car.

Neither of the three siblings have said a word to each other. Wanting to wait to leave the vicinity of the house first before they can talk to each other and their mother, to ask questions.