𝐯𝐢. the flea and the acrobat, part two

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧—chapter six: the flea and the acrobat, part two

THE GROUP—EXCLUDING MONTY, WHO HAD TAKEN ACHILLES WITH HER TO WHEREVER NANCY AND JONATHAN WENT—IS BACK IN THE WHEELERS' BASEMENT

THE GROUP—EXCLUDING MONTY, WHO HAD TAKEN ACHILLES WITH HER TO WHEREVER NANCY AND JONATHAN WENT—IS BACK IN THE WHEELERS' BASEMENT. Mike is in the pillow fort with Eleven and Seven, holding a piece of paper and a pencil in his hands. He holds up the paper, taking the pencil and stabbing a hold right through it. Eleven flinches, staring at him with wide eyes.

"It would take a lot of energy to build a gate like this," Mike explains. "But that's got to be what happened. Otherwise, how'd Will get there, right?"

"R-Right," Eleven answers, nodding.

"What we want to know is, do you two know where the gate is?" Lucas asks them. Seven just stares at him, silently. Eleven shakes her head. "Then how do you know about the Upside Down?"

Neither girl answers, though, distracted by Dustin. He's pacing around the back of the basement with a compass in his hand.

"Dustin, you look like an idiot, right now, you know that?" Marissa mutters, crossing her arms.

"Dustin, what are you doing?" Mike questions, though, Dustin doesn't seem to have heard either of them. "Dustin?"

"Dustin!"

The Henderson boy starts pace and stares down at his compass, before looking at Lucas, Mike, and Marissa. "I... I need to see your compasses."

"What?" Mike asks, confused.

"Your compasses. All of your compasses, right now!"

The get up from where they were sitting and dig into their pockets and bags, finding their compasses, and tossing them down on the table.

"What's exciting about this?" Mike asks.

"Well, they're all facing north, right?"

"Yeah, so?"

"North on a compass isn't true north," Marissa says in realization, looking at Dustin, who nods. He was actually surprised she remembered that.

"What do you mean?"

Marissa looks at Mike. "It's just what I said. Compasses don't point to true north. They're not broken. It's just how they're made. Compasses don't have batteries. True north is that way," she says as Dustin points in the direction true north was.

"The needle's naturally drawn to the earth's magnetic North Pole," Dustin explains further, putting one of the compasses back down on the table.

"So, what's wrong with them?" Lucas asks next, furrowing his brows.

"Well," Dustin starts, looking at him, "that's what I couldn't figure out, but then I remembered. You can change the direction of a compass with a magnet. If there's the presence of a more powerful magnetic field, the needle deflects to that power. And then I remembered what Mr. Clarke said. The gate would have so much power—"