𝐯𝐢𝐢. the monster

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧—chapter seven: the monster

THE FOUR OF THEM HAD BEEN WALKING FOR WHAT SEEMED LIKE FOREVER

THE FOUR OF THEM HAD BEEN WALKING FOR WHAT SEEMED LIKE FOREVER. They were in the woods. It was nightfall; the sun had long set under the horizon hours ago. By now there were only three of them instead of four, turning their squad into a trio. Nancy was nowhere to be found.

It was concerning. She was just here. Jonathan swears he had his back turned for only a second. How could Nancy have gotten lost already? It hadn't made any sense.

"Nancy!" Jonathan shouts, looking around as he wanders aimlessly, Achilles following him. It was hard to see in the dark and his flashlight wasn't doing any good to help him see. "Nancy! Where are you?"

"Jonathan! Monty! Achilles! I'm right here!" They could hear her calling their names, but it sounded very faint, distant, and distorted. As if it was coming from somewhere else. But where?

"Where are you?"

Monty glances around, shining her flashlight every which way. The Upside Down? she thinks, pointing her flashlight at the ground and then at some trees. Was there a gate here that led to it? "Jonathan!"

"Yeah?" he turns around to face the Barlowe girl, furrowing his brows in confusion.

"Do you have a compass or something?"

"Why would I—"

"I do; I have a compass. It's one of Marissa's. I took it before we left. She has like ten of these things," Achilles says, reaching into his pockets for something. He pulls out a compass and tosses it to her.

"Thanks," she holds it out in front of her following the compass's north. It wasn't true north. She remembers learning that in fifth grade science. That compasses don't point to true north. That they deflect to a stronger magnetic field. They had learned that after a week's long lesson about the moon's phases.

The needle spins one way rapidly, before stopping and settling on its north. Not true north. She follows it in that direction, continuing to listen to Nancy's voice calling their names as she does so.

Off in the distance she can hear Jonathan yelling at Nancy, instructing the Wheeler girl to follow his voice.

A branch snaps below Monty's feet and she looks down, stopping upon seeing something blue pulsating at the base of the tree. This had to be a gate of some sort. It had to be. And it had to be how Nancy got down there.

"Hey! I found something!"

The two boys hurry over to the tree, crouching down to get a better look at it.

"What the hell?" Achilles breathes, staring at it in confusion.

Just then, a hand reaches out from it. Nancy's hand. Jonathan falls backwards in shock. Monty and Achilles reach forward, tearing apart the weird slimy stuff from the base of the tree as they grab Nancy's hand, helping to pull her out.