Assassination Gone Wrong?

Wanda was drunk. Wayne had called his butler, Alfred, to pick them up and give her a lift back to Rachel's apartment. Once she entered the living room, her drunken state got the better of her and she became careless. It had been so long since she thought about the events in Westview, about Vision, her children and of the pain she caused to the innocent citizens. Believing Rachel to be asleep, which luckily she was, Wanda transformed into the Scarlet Witch. Her outfit had taken on a darker form, resembling her inner turmoil and weakened mental health. The red was beginning to peel off, leaving black in its wake and unsurprisingly, just as her heart was broken in real life, the breastplate on her costume was shattered where her heart lay.

Initially, Wanda was shocked at the change as she was fine with the previous look, but she knew that the updated appearance suited her much better, although having her internal struggles publicised through the new outfit did make her feel slightly uncomfortable. Nonetheless, Wanda embraced her new self. The pain she felt would only make her stronger, make her careful. This time, she would save everyone she loved in this world...no matter what.

The reason Wanda transformed was to relive the moments of happiness she had in Westview. Drinking with Bruce only made her realise just how alone she was. Apart from Rachel, she really had no one else to call a friend. She was grateful to the woman, truly, but she needed more. She had a rough life before that she didn't want to continue. Bruce didn't drink with her. He was kind enough to stay, make sure she was safe(not that she needed it), but Wanda still felt hurt that he didn't even have one drink except for when Rachel was with them. It just made her more embarrassed since she was probably a blubbering mess by the time they left. So, Wanda pulled the memories from her mind with ease and brought them to life in front of her. She saw it all. Her and Vision moving in to their dream house, getting married, having kids, raising those kids although it was tough with their aging and the subsequent realisation that her dream was in fact a nightmare for others following the attempts of rescue by S.W.O.R.D.

Eventually, after replaying these memories for a few times, Wanda finally fell asleep...in the living room...forgetting to change back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...Na...Nat...Natalie!" Wanda tiredly opened her eyes.
"What is it?" She mumbled.
"Gosh. What on earth did you and Bruce get up to last night? Where did you get this outfit from?" Rachel looked her up and down. Wanda frowned and preceded to look down on herself. Her eyes widen as she gasped. Well, she's never getting drunk again.
"Um...I...Uh...I can't really remember, I think I saw it at a costume shop and bought it. I guess I buy silly things when drunk." Wanda stammered out her excuse. Rachel gave her a doubtful look then laughed.
"Well, it's nice to know you enjoyed the night out, but don't you have to go to the Asylum today?"
"OH YES! My gosh, I can't thank you enough for waking me up. I don't know what I would've done if I was late." Wanda sprung up from the sofa, hugged the woman and ran into the bathroom.

Rachel chuckled to herself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wanda was now on her way back from the Asylum. She was given a tour of the place and given a debrief on what was expected of her, rules to follow and officially given her first patient. They gave her somebody who hadn't caused any problems for the business to treat to ensure her first attempt went as smoothly as possible.

However, Wanda found herself to be stuck in a crowd. She had no clue what was going on, so preceded to try and make her way through it until, she started to hear bagpipes in the distant. Curiosity got the best of her and she decided to approach the noise. Making her way further up the street, Wanda saw what she thought to be a funeral procession. She didn't know who for, but she caught a glimpse of Harvey and Rachel walking behind the men with the bagpipes. Since she would've done nothing if she went home, Wanda decided to stay and pay her respects to the person who passed away but also to keep an eye on the couple. She knew the Joker was targeting Harvey and after the party, Rachel was definitely a person of interest to him as well.

Finally, the march stopped as they arrived at a podium. A man took to the stage, the mayor if Wanda recalls correctly after seeing his face on various billboards around the city.

"Commissioner Loeb dedicated his life to law enforcement and to the protection of his community." The mayor spoke in the mic, as Wanda now knew the name of the man who died. She remembered seeing something on the news about a police officer being killed by the Joker, but she didn't realise it was the commissioner. The Joker has no limits she thought to herself as the mayor continued his eulogy.

In the corner of her eye, Wanda noticed a man with a moustache glancing around his surroundings, as if on the look out for someone or something. This caused Wanda to perk up and look around herself for anything suspicious.

In a building nearby, Bruce found the police officers that the Joker and his thugs had swapped with.

~~~~~

"We must remember they vigilance is the price of safety." The mayor finished his eulogy.
"Stand by. Honour guard. Attention. Port Arms. Ready! Aim! Fire!" The officers got into formation and preceded to follow protocol. However as this was happening, other bullets went off, causing Wanda to look up and see police standing on fire escapes, shoot at a window. It then clicked in her mind that this was a setup. The real assassins were on the ground.

Wanda quickly shot her eyes back to the mayor and from there made them lock onto Rachel and her boyfriend. If the Joker was going to try and kill the mayor right here, who was to say he would kill two birds with one stone and go Harvey as well. Wanda began to push her way through the crowd towards the couple. However, the Joker and his minions then let themselves known as they shot at the mayor from their position in the group of officers who were shooting earlier. Wanda spared a quick glance at the mayor, if she could discretely divert the bullet then she would, but she didn't have the opportunity as the man with moustache then pushed the mayor away, taking the gunshot instead.

As a result of this, the crowd began to panic and disperse making Wanda get pushed around for a few moments until she finally reached Harvey and Rachel.

"Natalie, what are you doing here?" Rachel shouted across the gunfire and screams.
"That doesn't matter. Follow me if you want to get out of here." Wanda called back.
"Rachel, go with her. I'm going to stay behind for a bit, talk to the guy they arrested." Harvey spoke calmly. Rachel just sputtered as the man she loved walked away from her. Wanda grabbed her hand and hurried them along into an alleyway further up the street

"Thanks Natalie, but I have to get back to the office. Try and sort this mess out once, which is where Harvey should be if he does his job. Gosh, I don't know how I cope with that man." Rachel rubbed her temples before briefly hugging Wanda and making her way to the DA's office.

After all this, Wanda knew it she wouldn't be able to keep her abilities secret anymore. One way or another, a time will come when her chaos magic will make a difference to the dark city.

 One way or another, a time will come when her chaos magic will make a difference to the dark city

Thanks for reading