Doe in Headlights

I'm so sorry that it took so long for me to update this! I had some life stuff (namely issue with my health) that I had been dealing with for the past year that prevented me from writing. But I'm doing a bit better now and managed to crank out a chapter for you guys so here you go! I hope you enjoy it!

Also a note: The Shrieking shack incident did not happen in this fanfic.

BTW I read all of your guys's comment and they're pure gold, you guys are so funny and sweet and amazing, thank you so much.

Today was a strange day. Severus was awake before Harry for once. Severus hadn't gotten out of bed yet though, just content with a hand on Harry's tummy as the boy laid sprawled out on his back. Well, maybe content was not the right word, since it was concern that had prevented the Slytherin from sleeping.

See, he concluded that he had to have gone insane over the last few weeks. He had completely fallen into his role as a parent, which was something that two weeks prior he did not expect would happen at all, even slightly, at any part in his life. But now here he is, laying next to his child. Dear Merlin, his child. It still surprises him when he is hit with a moment of clarity and he realizes that he's gotten used to being called Papa.

But that's not what concerns him. No, instead, he has plans to take Harry along for the next Hogsmeade trip, which he had forgotten was coming up because of everything with Po- James and his parents at the beginning of the week.

Speaking of the Gryffindor, the worrisome part was how he had inexplicably, without argument, agreed to walk around Hogsmeade with not only Harry and Lily, but also the marauders!

Severus swore the pastel green paint in his room was releasing fumes that were causing him to make illogical decisions.

Severus just wanted things to slow down a bit. Everything was changing around him and he was not able to register it quick enough to understand everything, let alone settle his emotions. He wasn't actively avoiding Black anymore because the other was surprisingly being civil. Lupin was smiling at him now where before he was clearly ignored by the other. Pettigrew, well, he was acting the same if not worse, and James...

Severus really did not want to think about James. Not now.

It was all too much.

Severus wished that he could stall the impending trip and just lay here with his son, but now he could hear a gentle giggling accompanying the light rumbling under his hand. Harry's awake now, which means they have to get ready for the day because Harry would not allow him to do anything else.

Severus would admit (not out loud, of course) that this trait of Harry's gave him a feeling of pride despite the anguish it caused because this was something that clearly came from him. The Slytherin refused to be anything but punctual.

Severus also needed to make sure that Harry knew that this wouldn't be like attending his classes, and that Harry really needed to behave and stay with the group, which is what the raven told the child as they were getting ready. He also miraculously managed to convince Harry that he did not need any stuffed animals for this trip, let alone the five that Harry was asking for.

After getting ready in the bathroom and taking a nice bath, Severus dressed Harry up in a simple pair of slacks and a long sleeved top, and then thinking about the England weather in October he decided to add a sweater, scarf, and gloves. Perhaps it was out of spite or loneliness because he would be surrounded by Gryffindors, but Severus decided to give him the Slytherin scarf that was present in the dresser.

Although he was unable to part Harry from the yellow and black gloves, so maybe Severus wasn't successful at his attempt at solidarity.

Severus felt like his feet were dragging when he made his way over to the entrance to Hogsmeade. Probably because they were. It got to the point where Harry was irritated enough to wiggle out of his Papa's hold and run ahead, causing Severus to chase after him and chastise him for that. When the child was in his arms once more, Severus wisely decided to speed up to prevent the boy from doing that again. Harry did have Gryffindor blood after all.