chapter 4: nothing broken, just bruised

"Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing."
ೃ⁀➷ Euripides

┊ ➶ 。˚   °

Time was flying and so was I. Well, more like running...again. But this time it was down the stairs to the interrogation rooms on the 7th floor. It wasn't far, but I could not afford any more mistakes in the eyes of Mr. Doyle.

The questioning that I was headed to was held right after training ends. I assume it was set up this way so we were too exhausted to lie.

I know, 'interrogation' sounds scary, and it certainly can be. That is if you are caught lying or simply give off the impression you are.

Essentially, it's just you and an instructor in a glass room while he or she asks you a series of questions. I usually lie and no one has seemed to catch on to my secret library escapades yet. But if the instructors suspect you of wavering in your oath to earth, it can get pretty ugly.

In my haste to the end of the hall, I managed to commit the highest form of treason against myself.

I crashed right into someone, nearly taking us both down in the mutiny.

The moment this someone turned around I wanted to filet myself for dinner. It was the man, the myth, the nightmare. Park Jongseong.

"Bye!" I shouted as I shoved him away from in front of me without hesitation. Time does not stop for apologies so neither do I.

As I tried to run again, I couldn't help but notice the grip he had on my wrist.

Why me?

"What the hell are you running away from?"

"Nothing currently." I rolled my eyes at him and wiggled the arm that he was holding. He just stared back at me, understandably unimpressed with my sarcasm.

"Stop it stupid, I'm being serious." He let go of me and shoved his hands in his pockets.

"I am too. I'm not running from anyone, I'm running to someone. Mr. Doyle, specifically. He told me he'd be the one interrogating me today and his room is on the farthest end- actually, I don't have time to explain this to you." And with that, I took off again, but not before I heard him say something else.

"I would've started running there yesterday if I were you, considering your performance this morning."

I didn't turn back to reply to him. He was right anyway. I should really work on my lackluster running skills.

As soon as I made it to the very last interrogation room, I saw Mr. Doyle was already seated inside. Come on, don't tell me I'm actually late.

"Hello, Mr.Doyle." I greeted him as I opened the door, although I wished I could take it off its hinges and use it as a shield for the duration of this session.

"You're late by two minutes. Tell me how everyone comes from the same place at the same time, yet you still manage to be late?"

I closed the door and took a seat in front of him. Carefully fixing my posture while I decided on an answer.

"My apologies, sir. I was late because I had to use the restroom, and it took me a little longer to get from there to here than the rest. It won't happen again." This sounded convincing enough for me, so hopefully he'd buy it too.

"What's that on your wrist, miss Jinjoo?" He questioned, seemingly shifting the topic yet sounding entirely too calm for me to be at ease.

"It's just the watch we all have to wear, sir." It's a rather clunky thing to carry around considering there is a clock on almost every wall here, but I suppose it's to help us be on time. Oh no. I see where this is going.