chapter 22: opportunity kneels

"Sometimes you can have a whole lifetime in a day and never notice that this is as beautiful as it gets."
ೃ⁀➷ Robin Williams

┊ ➶ 。˚   °

I felt a light pat on my shoulder causing me to rip my eyes open and grasp my surroundings.

Eyes frantically scanning, I found myself back in my bed with a very confused Sunghoon staring down at me.

Only I was even more confused than him.

The last place I thought I'd be was here. Maybe on a bus away from here. Maybe in Bram's office getting the shit beat out of me. But not safe in bed.

It made me think it was all just a dream. That I missed Jay so much, I started dreaming he'd take me away.

It wasn't until I pulled my aching arm up from under the covers that I had physical proof it was more than a dream.

"You should get ready, Jin," Hoon whispered, looking at me with a softened gaze.

"Ready for what?" I rushed in panic, hiding my bloodied sleeve behind my back and jolting up from my bed. If the facility knew about our escape attempt, an execution might be awaiting me.

"Breakfast..." He gave me a look that danced between judgment and concern before continuing, "are you feeling alright?"

"Oh, breakfast... yes, I'm alright," I sighed in relief and settled myself down.

"Okay. I'm going to head down then. We'll be at our usual table."

"I'll be down soon," I nodded.

Once he was gone, I looked back at my bed and noticed a clean pair of pajamas tucked under my pillow. I then began inspecting the dressing on my wrist and came to the conclusion that what I considered a dream, had actually happened.

I also concluded that there was no way in hell Jay bandaged my arm that well, so he must have had help after I passed out. Meaning he brought me back.

Figuring out where Jay was and who helped him came first on my to-do list for the day. There were so many questions, I just didn't know if I could get the answers I wanted.

I put a pause on all of the confusion in my mind and changed into my training attire, being extra careful with my wrist. I left our room and walked down the main stairs to the cafeteria.

The tension in the room was stifling. Filled to the brim with a silence I couldn't interpret.

Immediately, I walked over to where my group was seated and found them staring down some flyers.

Looking around, those sheets were everywhere. On every table, on every wall, in everyone's hands. Except for mine.

"They're gone," Sunghoon spoke solemnly.

"Who's gone? Don't tell me someone else has died-"

"The instructors. The faculty. They are all gone," Jake raised his eyes from the paper to look into mine.

"You can't be serious."

"Look around, Jin. No one is here but us blessed," Sunghoon continued.