chapter 10: someone to encounter

"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain."
ೃ⁀➷  Louisa May Alcott

┊ ➶ 。˚   °

This morning's breakfast was delightfully accompanied by an extra cinnamon roll, courtesy of Mrs. Ramona. Sunoo was the one to claim it, and judging from his stuffed cheeks, I'd say it was rather good.

The always sunshiny Sunghoon had made a point to give me his granola bar, which I hid under my pillow once we'd made it back to our room.

There we sat for an uneventful thirty minutes until the time came for us to make the trek to the training room for today's instructions. On the way down, I noticed the unusual calm that loomed over today. Like a grey cloud on the precipice of a storm.

The facility was full of voices, and although I'd usually find it annoying, I made a point to take note of each one I heard.

Once I assumed my typical position at the back of the line, I was paired up with Sunghoon. The moment the coast was clear, he gave me a wink which I took as a signal to get the hell out of there.

And so I did.

I made the journey up to my safe place with great stealth and ensured no one saw me disappear.

The door didn't creak a bit and I must admit, I held my breath each time I opened it for fear that it might make a terrible squeak.

But I was one lucky lady because it never did. It was one thing that would never betray me.

I made my way through the familiar shelves and didn't have to think very hard about what I would read today. For the past few days, my mind had been in fair Verona, spying on two star-crossed lovers known as Romeo and Juliet.

This was perhaps my fourth time reading the tragedy, but I found comfort in the familiarity. It just couldn't seem to bore me.

I plucked my copy from its spot on the shelf and made my way back to my favorite couch. It was a cozy and calm spot with just the right temperament to drift off into delicate delusions.

Until that calm was broken by an abrupt and earth-shattering tap on my shoulder.

Forget the burning of fire or freezing of ice, it was this tap that destroyed my life.

"Hi there, miss Jin. Mind telling me why you're all cozied up in this dreary place?" A voice I no doubt recognized spoke accusingly from behind me, and every muscle in my body tensed in foreboding.

Shit. Forget what I said earlier. This place betrayed me and now I have nothing left.

With immense stress and every plea of negotiation, I turned to face the intruder.

"Listen, Jay, I promise it's not what it looks like. Please, just let me explain. I promise it will be worth your time. Just don't tell Mr. Doyle. Please."

"That depends...how many times are you going to say please?" he quirked a brow as he made his way around the couch, "and exactly how can you make it worth my time?" He finished as he came to kneel directly in front of me.

One look in his eyes and I knew exactly what I had to do.

"I am going to be completely honest with you Jay...I have been given special instructions from Mr. Doyle to come up here for purposes I am not at liberty to disclose to you." I lied right through my teeth. Nothing personal, just preservation.

He scoffed as he tilted his head slightly, an action entirely too captivating, "I'm sorry to tell you this Jin, but I don't trust you as far as I can throw you. And I know you are lying."