Chapter Five

---------------------------

Dedication: Toxiccandy18 for the awesome cover. Thanks heaps, it's great. :-)

Recap:

"Wait!" he said, as I flung the door open and struck my leg out. I paused, looking back. "Goodbye kiss?"

I lent forward and pressed mine to his briefly, before scrambling out of the car. I made sure I walked to the porch and waved. He did a U-Turn and exited my street. I roughly ran my hands over my face, as I walked towards Carter's house.

My body slipped inside the door and crept up the stairs as quiet as I could. I tip-toed through the hall, hardly breathing. I silently went to the bathroom, brushed my teeth and emerged into my room, eager to get out of these close and into my nice, toasty pyjamas.

My heart leaped inside my chest as I jumped about two feet in the air. My T.V playing. I registered that it was, in fact, Prison Break. My eyebrows shot up and my eyes swivelled towards my bed, where Carter was sprawled out, dead asleep.

I just watched him for a moment, shaking my head. Quietly, I walked over and switched the T.V off, the room instantly returning to its dark state. I stripped down and changed my clothes, before doing the worst possible thing.

I crawled into bed beside him.

***

Being in his embrace felt amazing. His arm was securely draped around my waist, his face nuzzled into the crook of my neck. I could feel his warm breath, fanning across my skin, making my stomach flip flop every time he exhaled.

I really had missed this. Just being with him. I know how stupid it was of me to have done this. I know it went by everything I stood for about our friendship, but I had had a lapse. He has always been and would always be my weakness. I moved slightly, trying to slither out from his capture, although my whole body screamed at me to stay where I was.

I already knew that when I get out of his vicinity, my brain will defog, causing my hatred and anger to come flooding back and I will be normal, once again.

Or, so I hoped.

"Morning gorgeous." he mumbled into my skin, his thumb rubbing circular patterns into my arm, making me tilt my head back and close my eyes, loving the rippling sensation my body was experiencing.

My breath hitched in my throat. All I wanted to do was wrap myself further around him and grab him, not letting go again. The desperation to be with him again was gnawing under my skin to the extent I was almost cringing.

Why was I so stubborn? Why couldn't I just let myself be happy with him? Even at the best times of my life, I am never quite as happy as I was, when Carter had been my best friend. He was the missing part of me and without him, I would never be right.

Before I had time to realise what he was doing, he moved his head, his lips pressing against the corner of my mouth. Every single muscle in my body protested at me to lean forward. Kiss him back with all I had, but no. I couldn't.

Thoughts of Aiden bombarded my mind and it was like a trigger inside me. I gasped, shoving him roughly from me. He let out a cry of surprise and I toppled backwards. My head slamming against my bedside cupboard, the side of my face piercing with pain. A scream escaped my lips at the sudden impact. I laid there, sprawled painfully on the hard, wooden floorboards, winded. I felt hot blood trickle down the side of my face. I closed my eyes, my entire face stinging.