Chapter 8: Skull Rock

✦ ⋆ ⭑ ⋆ ✦

✦ ⋆ ⭑ ⋆ ✦

Grace Harrington

We've been walking for hours now. The sun has already came up and the time must be around seven a.m. I would have checked my watch but both of our watches got ruined while in the lake, along with our walkie-talkie.

My clothes are damp, I'm cold, and my socks keep squishing in my boots and the sound is making me nauseous.

We've stayed silent for the most part, both just thinking about everything. Coming to terms of the trauma we've endured today.
  Not that this is our first encounter with trauma, but this definitely adds to the list of top ten worst moments of our lives.

I just feel so...emotionless.

I wish I felt something, pain, anger...anything, but I just don't. I could be way off...but I think Eddie feels the same way. It's all too much to truly care about right now.

Things like this make me really scared about loosing my friends though, I can't go through that again. I just know that if one of doesn't make it out of here alive, it will truly be the end for me.

Just thinking about everything that's happened, since will went missing a few years ago. How the hell do we all keep getting up each morning? This is all insane. I wouldn't be surprised if the end of this ended with us in a group therapy session. Honestly...

"Grace, I think there's a construction sight ahead of us. Maybe if one of them have a walkie-talkie we can use it" Eddie explains. I nod and we hide behind a large rock that looks over the construction sight.

I lightly hit Eddie's shoulder and point towards a worker heading towards a porta potty. He lays down his bag which happens to have a walkie-talkie sticking out of it on the ground. I sprint down the small hill being careful so I'm not seen, and quickly grab the walkie.

I run back to Eddie and we sprint back into the depths of the woods.

I flip the walkie-talkie channel to the one everyone else is on and speak into it. "Hello? Dustin? Steve? Please someone answer" I speak.
"Grace?!" I hear Steve on the other end say loudly.

"I was so worried about you, are you ok? Are you safe? Where are you? I'm coming to get you now!" he says. "Steve, Steve, calm down. I'm alright. Both Eddie and I are alright."

"Where are you guys?" He asks. "Someone died Grace" He states. "I know, we uh- we were there" I stutter.

I look over at Eddie and his head is down. His hands are in his pockets and his shoulders are slouched. Jesus...he didn't even ask for this. He didn't want to be apart of this. He'll never be the same again.