Chapter 9: Save Him

✦ ⋆ ⭑ ⋆ ✦

✦ ⋆ ⭑ ⋆ ✦

Grace Harrington

We've been walking for thirty minutes and all we've been doing is running after Dustin.

"I'm still confused on what's Mordor?" Steve whispers for the third time. I shake my head. "I have no idea, I'm still confused about when we had the conversation about a possible gate.." I say to him.

"We're you just not listening to literally anything we were saying" Steve snaps, I roll my eyes. "Obviously not Steve, otherwise I would know what the conversation was and I wouldn't be confused"
I look over and he shakes his head.

"You guys always bicker like this?" Eddie whispers to me. I nod and huff. "Always." Steve adds.

~~~~~~~

The sun has set and the woods have gotten scarier then they were the night before. You would think after everything we've been through my fear of the dark would have disappeared, but here I am...a senior in High School, scared of these woods and still sleeps with a small night light that my neighbor gave me as a Christmas present because my parents hadn't been home for a month.

Dustin starts to sprint interrupting my thoughts. Everyone chases after him and ducks a few times so they don't get hit with branches.

"Dustin!" Steve whisper yells.
"Slow down Dustin" Robin adds.

We finally catch up to him and he turns back to us. "I think we're getting close" Eddie runs past us and grabs Dustin before he falls backwards into...the lake?

"Watch out big guy" Eddie says to him and straightens his shirt that he just grabbed
"Oh shit!" Steve says as he catches his breath.
"You've gotta be shitting me"

We all look out at the lake and sigh. "I thought these woods looked familiar." Eddie states.
"We must have walked around the entire lake today because we got out all the way on the other end" I add. He nods.

"Lovers fucking lake" Robin says. "the gate is in there?"

"Whenever the Demogorgon attacked it left an opening...so maybe it has to be the same with Vecna" Nancy explains. "Only one way to find out" I say

"How are we even going to get out there" Robin asks.
We look around and I see a drifting boat a few trees away. I point to it and yell... "there!" They all look and I make my way over to it.

I untether it, step into the water, which is now making the soles of my boots wet. And push the small boat towards the others with the help of Eddie.