Chapter One: [MADMAX]

October, 1984

Y/n's POV

"You owe m-"

"-owe you. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know." I cut off my brother as he hands me a handful of quarters and gets up. "Thanks and remember to tell mom-"

"-I'm dropping you off at the library. You're lucky you have such an amazing brother covering for you so you can hang out with your weird friends," he says walking out of the room as I roll my eyes.

"Y/n, Lucas, do you copy? I've got four quarters. What are your hauls?"

I immediately rush over to my walkie-talkie on my desk and extend the antenna.

"Take your puny haul and multiply it by five." I hear Lucas say as I count the quarters my brother gave me.

"How?"

"While you were scrounging around like a homeless bum, I mowed Old Man Humphrey's Lawn."

"Old Man Humphrey's got that kind of cash-"

"-37, 38, 39, 40! I've got forty, losers." I count out to them as I smile triumphantly. I open my drawer and grab a small bag and start scooping the quarters into it.

"What? Bullshit!" Dustin exclaims.

"What was the catch?" Lucas asks.

"I have to do all of my brother's chores until he goes back up for college," I reply sadly.

"Isn't that in a week from now?" Dustin asks me.

"Yeah-"

"Dustin, just call Mike already." interrupts Lucas.

"You call Mike."

"I have to go take a shower from doing real work, like a man. Over and out" Lucas's end cuts out.

"Did he just call himself a man..?"

"At least he's hygienic... uh anyways, I got to go. Bye Dusty! Over and out." I turn off my radio before Dustin can argue and walk to grab my bag in the corner.

"Y/N! Hurry up! The library isn't going to read itself!" I hear my brother shout from downstairs.

"I'm coming! Give me a second!" I stuff the small bag of coins and my walkie-talkie into my backpack and hurriedly sling it over my shoulder as I run downstairs.

"Don't run down the stairs. I keep telling you this." My mom scolds me as I give her a peck on the cheek.

"I know I know, I won't. Bye, Mom! Love you!"

I quickly rush out of the house and hop into my brother's car as he turns the engine on.

"About time."

--------------------------------------
I watch as Dustin, Mike, and Lucas park their bikes as a car nearby honks.

We look over and see Will and his mom waving at us as we wave back.

Ever since what happened, Will's mom has been a lot more strict with him. Of course, I don't blame her but I can tell Will is a bit bummed out from it. I'm just glad she trusts me the most out of the party to take care of Will.

"Y/n!" Joyce calls me, "Watch over Will, alright?" I see Will give me an embarrassed nod as I give him a smirk in return.

I am so going to tease him about this later.

"I will! Have a nice day Ms. Byers!"

I turn back to the other three as they're interrogating Mike on how he got his quarters.