Chapter Two: [Trick or Treat, Freak]

October, 1984

Y/N's POV

"What about this?" Ian asks, presenting me with a white sheet with holes cut for the eyes.

"I told you." I say giving him a pointed look, "I want to go as Ghostface. Not a ghost."

(I know Scream came out in the 90s but I love the Scream franchise so its canon in this book!)

"You know sometimes I regret getting you into horror movies." He sulks putting down the white sheet disappointingly. "My wallet would be heavier."

I ignore his complaining as I scan the shelves filled with endless amounts of costumes for the upcoming holiday. The guys wanted me to go as the green booger from Ghostbusters but no way was I going to dress like that at school. FOR FREE? I don't think so.

"Is this it?" My brother lifts his head out of a clothes rack and brings the costume pack to me. The iconic Ghostface mask lay peacefully on top.

"Yes! This is perfect." I grab the costume from his hands and inspect everything inside excitedly.

"Come on," He says grabbing my arm and pulling me, "Let's pay for this and get you to school before you're late."

"Look! It includes a plastic retractable knife." I flip over the packaging to show my brother as he furrows his eyebrows.

"Yeah, no. You're not bringing that to school." He looks back to the cashier and hands them a five-dollar bill.

"Well, obviously not."

He rolls his eyes as he grabs the change and thanks the cashier before we walk out of the store to his white car.

As soon as we get inside, my brother puts in a mixtape, the intro to "I'm Still Standing" by Elton John begins to play, and he starts backing out of the parking space.

I had asked my brother to bring me to the store to buy the Ghostface costume before school because mom wouldn't let me get it. She says it's not "girly" enough and she is not a horror movie fan. Like at all.

I quickly open the costume and take out its contents. I throw on the long black drape over my casual clothes and place the mask on my face when I suddenly feel the knife on my lap get grabbed.

"Hey!" I say pushing the mask off and looking at my brother.

"You can get this," He says placing the plastic knife inside his car's compartment, "tonight when you go trick or treating. I'm not risking you getting in trouble for it."

"Fine," I say blowing a piece of my hair off my face and leaning into the seat as my eyes travel towards the window where the school building comes into view.

My eyes narrow as I notice something.

"Hey, are you sure it's a school thing to wear your costume cause... I don't see anyone else wearing one..." My brother interrupts my thoughts as he turns into the parking lot.

My brother was right. No one was wearing a costume for Halloween.

"Oh fuck that," I mumble to myself, throwing the costume off of my body and stuffing it into my backpack.

"Thanks for buying the costume for me, Ian. I love you, bye!" I open the door and shut it before running towards the bike stand.

I see four familiar figures dressed in costumes arguing about something as I rush over.

"-I'm Venkman, Dustin's Stanz, Y/n's Slimer, you're Egon, and you're Winston."

"I specifically didn't agree to Winston," Lucas responds to Mike.