1. Doomsday

Greetings, friends and enemies (and maybe even a few frenemies), and welcome to the sequel of my Torchwood fic series, Sparkling Cosmos. If you would like to find out more about my OC and their relationship with the other members of Torchwood, go ahead and read (or reread) my first fic, Disoriented Cosmos, which is already fully published and completed! Now, enjoy!

I can hear metal thumping along carpet.

I open the door a crack, and peep out. In the corridor, there are neighbours dashing about and crying downstairs and again multiple heavy sounds faint below us.
"There's nothing I can see," I whisper, unbeknownst to the rest of our neighbours,
"But you can hear those sounds, right? They sound as fast as footsteps, but they're... well, they're heavier."
Owen beside me inhales sharply, and I know he's thinking what I'm thinking.

I've read UNIT files. I've listened to Jack's stories, everyone has. Owen and I meet each other's eyes. His has pure, unadulterated terror in his eyes - I can only assume my face shows the same.
"The Cybermen," I whisper, and he nods slowly.

The frightened silence is broken by my phone ringing. Quick as a flash Owen grabs it and mutes it, then hands it to me. It reads Capt. Jack Harkness.
I close the door and press answer. "Jack, it's the Cybermen."
"I know," he replies straight away. "Torchwood One has us on speaker right now. They're the ghosts they brought in; real and taking over the entire Canary Wharf. You two need to come into the Hub right now."

"Right away Sir." I end the call and look to Owen. "It's the ghosts come through in their real form; the Cybermen. We need to get to the Hub."
"How?" he asks witheringly, gesturing outside. "If you haven't noticed, there's an army of Cybers climbing up to our apartment!"
I look round for an exit, then spot a window just large enough to crawl through. I near it quietly, socks sliding on the wooden floorboards, and when I get there I point to it, grinning at him.
He raises his eyebrows. "You want me to climb out of a window?"
"Hey, they can't fly, so why not?" I reason, then when he looks doubtful I add, "It means we'll be squashed up against each other."
His brows instantly lower, and he replies calmly, "Okay."

We run through the dodgy alleys of Adamsdown to the tower; no point in going in the normal way and alerting the Cybermen to it. Just before we run to the step, we hear a clank of metal and see an explosion near us. Owen pulls me to the step as I look back and call to him: "Cyber!"
"Yeah, no shit, come on!"
He tugs me onto the step and immediately the lift starts to descend, leaving a Cyberman standing there looking round to figure out where their next two victims went.
Owen and I press up against each other in fear as we go down, I look up at him and say, "Thanks."

He nods in relief, and we hear Suzie shouting our names below us. We look down to see her waiting at the lift for us to get down. "Why did you two take so long?" she demands to know.
The lift slows and I leap down before it fully stops. "If you haven't noticed, there are Cybermen everywhere. It's kinda hard to get from A to B without them following and trying to kill you."
Our bossy second in command begins to chastise us, but as soon as she opens her mouth our actual boss calls us into his office. Toshiko Sato, who just sprinted through the door and bolted it securely, looks at us in worry.

The four of us file into the small glass room, and Captain Jack Harkness clasps and unclasps his hands in a bundle of nerves.
"Well, as you can see it's not good news," he says in his mysterious American accent, and we all roll our eyes. No shit, man.
"Have any Cybers seen you come in?" he asks next, and we shake our heads.
"One of them was close," says Tosh, looking genuinely traumatized, "but I managed to give him the slip around the Norwegian church. The sun goes down in exactly two hours and fifteen minutes, so my guess is they'll find the main power source and use that as their base by then."
"Sounds like that's already happened - in Torchwood One."