27. Bad Luck

We've found more Weevils.

Well, more specifically, I've felt through my telepathy I've gained from Dorothea the Weevil that more of them are running through the streets instead of underground; I've been letting Ianto know so he can go out in the SUV and round them all up.

Since Ianto is off doing that, Gwen and Jack have been called into the police station, and Owen and Tosh are still at the hospital, I'm alone in the Hub.
I've been trying to stay as far away from the Rift Manipulator as possible, to minimize my pain, but it's not helping even a little: I feel deathly cold and blazing hot at the same time, shaking all over my entire body as I lie down on Jack's bed in his basement room; my bones are creaking and the muscles around them are quivering like they're about to disintegrate.

It's getting worse. I don't know if I'll survive this.

The lights in the room flicker, and when I sit up every single light in the Hub goes off. Curious. I sit up and toggle the lightswitch until it finally takes on an ominous flickering. Content with stopping at least one thing going wrong today, I struggle up to go through the Hub, only to be halted by a stranger in mauve and golden robes in front of me.

"Evelina," the person says in a comforting voice, which is alarming because I've never seen this person in my life.
"Evelina, my darling, you know what you need to do," they continue, and when I don't respond they take my hand gently, for me to pull away from them.
"Who are you?" I finally whisper.

The stranger links their smooth eyebrows together in confusion, but shakes the emotion out of their face and replies, "It doesn't matter who I am now, but it will. But only if you help save this world, so you can see your life in it."
"What do you mean? Who are you?" I persist, but they swipe away the question and move closer to me.
"Open the rift, Evelina. For me - please."

When they're closer the pressure in my head is too much, enough to make it feel like my mind is imploding; I step backwards and fall over. After I press my hand to my temple and take several deep breaths, I look up and they're gone.

"Evelina?" a voice calls out in worry, expecting me to reply, and I say through my confusion, "I'm okay, Jack."
He runs into his office after a thump sounds from the room. "Why isn't Ianto here? He's meant to be looking after you."
"Weevil sightings," I tell him as he helps me up from the floor. I brush myself off, trying to sweep away memories of the strange person who disappeared in front of me. "So what was in the police station?"
He gives me a look that means, come and see, and when I follow him and see an unconscious Roman soldier on the floor, I'm not unmoved.
"Oh. Oh...kay then."

He says they'll be back soon before dragging the sleeping body down to the cells with Gwen, and almost as soon as they leave, Ianto returns with another Weevil. As soon as the creature sees me, it whines in recognition. I think I've somehow created an alliance with the species.
"Woah. That's the first time it's calmed down since I found it," Ianto comments when he notices, and I tilt my head.
"Before you put it downstairs, I think I'd like to name her... Lauren."
He raises his eyebrows. "Boy are you gonna regret that name when she gets loose."

I shrug my shoulders, and let Ianto walk out of the room before my legs give way and I have to drag myself to the sofa. That was too much action in one stand.
My link between the Weevils and I strengthens as the Rift does, and I wince. I can't help but whimper like one of them, and when Gwen walks into the room she runs to me.
"Oh my God what is it?" she asks - but all I want right now is Owen.

As if I said Beetlejuice three times, he and Toshiko appear from the door. At the same time, so does Jack. Oh boy.
"Owen," Jack calls out, "how was the hospital?"
He throws his jacket down over his chair and Tosh sits down at hers, mesmerized by something. "Laugh a bloody minute," he replies sarcastically, glancing over at me and holding his wounded chest. "They've got an outbreak of the Black Death."
Gwen exclaims in shock, but I'm calm. I already knew.