15. Greeks Bearing Gifts

"Ever seen anything like it before?" Jack asks me of the unwieldy object that's just been unearthed by accident in a construction site, and I tilt my head and try to search deep within my worldly knowledge.

"I think... I might have an idea, maybe? I'll have a closer look when it's properly unearthed and back at the Hub," I say, and my boss nods and salutes like I'm in charge. I laugh and he winks at me, then we turn heel and walk back to the SUV, leaving Tosh to do the rest of the scan - so far we've picked up ilmenite, pyroxene, and even Dark Matter. And some of those haven't been around for thousands of years, so just what are we dealing with here?

I hear laughter, and look round just in time to see Owen and Gwen messing about and slapping each other. I tut: fucking children. Once again, I can't believe Owen's decided to shag yet another woman on our team. First me, then Suzie, now Gwen - does this man's penis ever stop wandering? I'm inclined to stop thinking about him altogether, although I can't do that sadly.
Then I see Toshiko coming out of the tent, head bowed over her device, and I sigh heavily on her behalf.

Since Owen doesn't seem to be sauntering over to me like he usually does when I finish up talking to witnesses and officials, Tosh does instead. I feel a twinge of anger toward Owen for him not coming to me, but I try to focus on my friend instead of my live-in bastard. It takes practice, but sometimes I can stop thinking about him.

"Is something happening between Owen and Gwen?" she asks after I wave off one of the cyclists who told me about this apparent voice they could hear from the device, and I blink slowly because I honestly can't bear Toshiko having her feelings hurt after both me and Suzie having affairs with the man she's infatuated with.

I swear, I never meant to catch feelings for someone one of my best friends also has feelings for. It just... happened. But I need to stop it. I can just stop having feelings for Owen, and it will be okay. It's just feelings - people can get rid of feelings, right?

"Yeah, I was um, I was gonna tell you... they... hooked up the other night. After the countryside debacle. I'm sorry I didn't tell you before," I add quickly as her face falls.

There's something about Toshiko - she lets her guard down in little levels depending on her relationships. It's a beautiful thing, unless she gets too attached to the wrong person.

For a long moment, she doesn't move. Her pretty almond eyes are cast downward in a silent prayer, somehow hoping that this is nothing more.
But, knowing Owen, it will be more. Less than romance, but definitely more than friends.

I pocket my notebook and pat her on the back. Tosh breathes in like she's just remembered how to inhale, and shakes her head.
"No, this is good. This is good. I need to get over him, and this is probably the best way. Yeah, no, this is actually really good. I just feel bad for you, Eve."

I give her a confused look. "Why would you feel bad for me?" I ask, and she just smiles sadly and pats me on the back before climbing into the car.

I go home, surprised that Gwen isn't here. Well, she could be already hiding in his bed. God, how could either of them ever think that this was a good idea? She's in a committed relationship, for Christ's sake, and they're in a job together, and me and Owen are... well, anyway.
What I'm saying is that I really shouldn't have to deny sex from my flatmate when he comes in without our teammate on his arm and propositions me. But, apparently, this is what my life has come to now. And that sucks.

~∆~

That night, I'm meant to meet up with Toshiko at the pub on Cathays Terrace, but she texts to say she's gonna give it an early night, and anyways she's met some woman. Good for her, getting out of her shell. At least one of us is happy.