chapter xi;

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈.
her father's daughter
❝ WHAT I DO, I DO FOR YOU ❞

her father's daughter❝ WHAT I DO, I DO FOR YOU ❞

BIRMINGHAM,
ENGLAND 1921

♜ ━━━━━ POLLY HAD ADELINE OUT OF THE HOUSE 'fore the sun had even fully risen.

She'd shaken the girl awake, told her to dress and be quick about it, without much more explanation than what she'd tell her now. Her da was badly hurt. He'd been taken to hospital. Polly wouldn't say any more than that. Della's coat wasn't buttoned on straight and her long boot laces slapped the damp gravel when she was hurried into the big brown building.

Finally, they stopped by the door of some hospital room. Polly's hand was shaking in Del's. Her aunt let out a low sigh and ran a hand over her face, makeup from yesterday smudged and smeared. She'd not been doin' good. Not good at all. She'd been full of anxious energy, Polly, fidgety and annoyed and restless. 

Della was already worried about Polly.

Now, she had to be worried about Tommy, too.

These bloody adults.

With a nervous drag of a cigarette, Pol nodded the girl inside, "Off you go. See t'your father."

For the first time, Della wasn't sure she wanted to. She felt courage dry and crumble, falling like bits of gravel to the pit of her stomach. Swallowing hard, the little girl fisted her hands in her coat and timidly stepped inside. The very sight of Tommy made Del want to turn and leave. Even leave town, maybe. She couldn't move but.

He looked terrible. Absolutely terrible.

On a hospital bed, he was, the last one right by the window. He was stretched out and wrapped in bandage, looking like he'd been sweating with pain. Covered in scrapes and bruises, his left eye was swollen almost completely shut and his lips were split open from top to bottom. Over all the purple and black of his bruises, his skin was still stained pink with the blood he'd shed.