chapter xviii;

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈.
soft on rebellion
❝ YOU SCARE THE FAMILY, AND YOU SCARE ME ❞

soft on rebellion❝ YOU SCARE THE FAMILY, AND YOU SCARE ME ❞

WARWICKSHIRE,
ENGLAND 1924

♜ ━━━━━ GRACE FIT INTO THE WORLD OF MANSIONS and society like a hand into a glove, but never into the world of Adeline Shelby.

Del would always be more at home in her Tommy's world, what she knew of it. While those people might cut and kill you, they did not trap one with innocent questions to make fun of you; even Finn was not highly critical unless she said something incredibly thick.

These posh ladies seemed to live in horror of any and all men, always disapproving and scolding and shaking their heads. Del liked them but. There was something about them, no matter how much they cussed and drank and gambled and fought; no matter how violent and unpleasant they were, there was something about them that the girl instinctively liked.

It might have been this that had Tommy and Grace concerned.

It might have been this that set Grace on the path of making Del the perfect little lady.

"You're growing up now, Della," her step—mother had informed her one unusually sunny afternoon when she'd rather be anywhere but inside.

Growing up; why did everyone keep saying that?

She felt like the same old Del as she used to be.

The eleven year old frowned from across the massive dining table in the massive dining room of Arrow House.

Most days, Del and Grace were forced to fend for themselves at lunchtimes while Tommy pissed off to take care of business that he refused to speak about. Everyday, so, they sat on opposite sides, the head of the table — her da's seat — stuck between them, as they ate strange foods and Grace forced awkward conversation.

"Your father and I thought that it would be best for you to experience some feminine influence for once."

The blonde woman's voice was light and casual, like they were discussing the weather or... well, that was all they talked about, really. Del stiffened, little hands had clenched tightly round her silver fork and knife as she went on.