chapter xxv;

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗𝐕

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗𝐕.
the big fight
❝ NO ONE WAS COMING FOR HER. ❞

BIRMINGHAM, ENGLAND 1926

BIRMINGHAM,
ENGLAND 1926

♜ ━━━━━ THE WORLD had been busy since Del's little slip off the roof.

Doctor said she'd to stay off her feet for the next week, to ensure that her brain hadn't been rattled out of place, to ensure that the concussion hadn't left any lingering effects. Bedrest sounded horrible, it wasn't so bad but, se had lots of people to keep her occupied. She expected everyone to be f—cking furious at her, instead she'd been fairly smothered with concern and company.

Her da did as much business in her room as he could 'fore he had people to meet elsewhere. Tommy hated leaving, it was good he went but. Him staying round made a girl nervous, it did, made her think it was so serious like she was dying or something. When he went back to business, Del knew everything was going to be orright. She trusted him, even if she shouldn't.

Charlie remained her loyal companion, refusing to leave her side for much else but to provide her with nourishment or use the toilet. Del surprised herself by being glad of his company. Frances claimed it was a blessed miracle.

Miracle or not, Della found herself swamped with Charlie and love and other visitors.

Her gang came for a visit, bringing her sweets and cigarettes and even a glass shard from Georgie in case anyone tried to kill her while bedridden. Her cousin, Karl, visited and gifted her a jar of worms and dirt. It was strange, good but. Choked and tearful, Polly had hugged the girl close and reported that even if she climbed another roof again, she'd whack her into next week. Del believed her.

Arthur spent an hour with her, scrubbing a rough hand over her hair and called her a mad little f—cker who wanted to put him in an early grave. She took it as a compliment. Even Mister Alfie Solomons from London had heard of her tragic fall, and he sent flowers to mean 'get well'. Tommy did not like this. Del was chuffed. When Ada came to see her, her aunt lingered in the door with a popped hip and pursed painted lips.