chapter vi;

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕𝐈

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕𝐈.
secrets and lies
❝ HE'S NOT SAFE AND I WANT YOU SAFE ❞

secrets and lies❝ HE'S NOT SAFE AND I WANT YOU SAFE ❞

BIRMINGHAM,
ENGLAND 1919

♜ ━━━━━ THINGS WEREN'T GOOD.

Del was missing the action all over the place.

Her Tommy was busy, busy, always busy. The police had raided the factory where Margo's dad worked and now everyone was on strike which was really not on at all. Now, he'd no work and they wouldn't have any pay for food. Arthur had been mopey and drunk, swinging wildly between angry and sad with no clear trigger. Ada was married to Freddie f—cking Thorne, without even inviting Del. Finn had been given more jobs only fit for eleven year olds, meaning he was off with the men more often than not.

Life was sh—t.

And things were only made worse when Finn himself arrived in number six at lunch, arms outstretched and a shite—eating grin on his young face. Della'd been feasting herself on a delicious meat pie, but her appetite turned sour at the sight of Finn waltzing in with a smile like butter wouldn't melt. This was always the smile one wore when the other was about to go absolutely green with envy.

Del gripped her fork tighter, gritting out, "What?"

"We're going to the races." Finn nearly laid across the table to inform her, "The men're going and they're taking me with 'em."

"They're not," Del couldn't believe it.

"They are. No fooling."

"Taking you? And not me?"

"Dunno." Finn was still beaming, like a perfect little sh—t, "We're going to be an army, Arthur says, get to bring a weapon an' everything. We're gonna stick it to the Lee family, he said."

Why they needed to stick it to the Lee family didn't much matter, Della just wanted to be a part of it. And the fact that she was being purposefully excluded... The pure injustice of it all nearly stole her breath away.