chapter ii;

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐈

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐈.
the changes
❝ WE'RE PEAKY BLINDERS ❞

the changes❝ WE'RE PEAKY BLINDERS ❞

BIRMINGHAM,
ENGLAND 1919

♜ ━━━━━ HAVING A father took getting used to.

Adeline's life could be defined into two acts.

Before he was gone, and after he came back.

Before he was gone, she couldn't say a word, mumbled nonsense to him when speaking through baby pink gums. Content to hold and be held when venturing. She'd thin wispy hair and dimples in her chubby arms and legs.

After he came back, she could string words into sentences to tell stories and to tell lies. She was clever and bright, full of temper and spite. A force to be reckoned with. Long hair and even longer limbs.

And now he was back, Adeline had come to learn one very important thing:

Thomas Shelby was a man to be feared.

It was another one of the changes in the new act, and his daughter noticed it almost right away.

In her first days of knowing him — when she'd become certain he'd not be going anywhere again, Della started studying the man who produced such instant terror when he walked the roads of Small Heath.

The streets would be alive with shrieking playing children, and outside every pub were men gathered together, smoking and drinking. Cutting through soaring industrial buildings, Garrison Lane would often be busy with horse traffic, the odd motor, and even a delivery lorry. On the corner, Jeremiah Jesus would be preaching his fire and brimstone sermons while a beggar would be playin' an accordion and blind men shook their tin cups for coin.

And then, Thomas Shelby arrived.

All conversation and laughter of any kind instantly stopped.

Whispered word went round the other children and mothers like wildfire. All games were frozen. Washing was left wet and wrinkled in baskets. Mothers turned to the crowds of children full up of Della's mates to summon their own.