12 | Old Friends

"You are the light at the end of my tunnel

"You are the light at the end of my tunnel."

He said that. Those words came from Hunter's mouth. He's never said anything so poetic in his life, there had been no mention of bright lights or dark tunnels in our entire relationship, but now he's saying this to me?

I have a boyfriend. I like Eldon, he's occasionally insufferable but he's also a good guy. It probably doesn't help that I'm a very dramatic person either, but overall Eldon is a nice guy.

He isn't toxic like Hunter, and he doesn't buy cocaine from some random dealer that James hates. He pays for things for me, and he likes seeing me, most of the time.

God, this is all so confusing.

The bright lights shine into my eyes, causing me to flinch slightly at the intensity of the car headlights.

The car comes to an abrupt stop, and James reaches his body across the passenger seat to grab the inside of the car door handle, and he opens it for me, ushering me to get inside.

I didn't know what to do or who to call. I am way too high to drive home right now, and I don't want to walk back either.

James seemed to be the only viable option. I know we only just agreed to be friends again, but I also know that he cares about me enough to drop everything and pick me up if I'm not in a good place.

And tonight, I'm very much not in a good place.

In fact, I'm probably in the worst place possible.

"What's up?" James asks as I slide my body into the leather seat, a mellow look spreading across my features as I mope slightly, allowing myself to show exactly what I'm feeling.

He looks concerned, his eyes slightly heavy from sleep, I probably woke him up, but I don't feel bad, I would do the same for him.

He's wearing grey sweats and a black button up shirt, probably just something that he found quickly scattered around his room. He definitely didn't purposely pair this outfit together, which means he must've rushed over to come and get me as soon as I hung up the call.

"I don't know," I mutter, placing my head in my hands as I let out a small grunt. "I'm a mess."

How did I manage to get myself into this situation?

I feel a comforting hand on my back, James' fingers brushing over my body to help ease the anxiety that is thwarting through me right now.

"What happened?" He asks, his voice stern, and I know that the only reason he hasn't started to drive away yet is because he's waiting purposely, just in case he needs to go inside to 'sort Hunter out,' which in other terms means beat him up.

A sigh escapes my mouth, and I run my fingers through my hair, the comfort of James' hand on my back soothing me as I relive the moment between Hunter and I a thousand times, playing over every single detail.