13 | The Conflict of Confrontation

"Higher on that kick, Giselle," Phoebe corrects my form, and I inhale a sharp breath, trying not to let her critique get to me

I'm not normally like this, I can usually take as many critiques that anyone could throw at me on the chin, but for some reason today is different.

It just feels like she's been targeting me this entire session, and it's also quite embarrassing.

I didn't make the team last season, I had to replace Daniel, it took my best friend getting injured for me to even be considered as a member of A troupe.

I can't help but feel like I don't belong here anymore, not in the way I used to, and especially not now when there's people like Amanda on our team.

She's like a robot, her dancing is sheer perfection, from her turns to her extensions, it's as though she has spent every minute of her life on a stage.

I guess Elite are just very good at teaching, I can see why they usually always win regionals.

"Giselle, focus," Phoebe criticises once again, clicking her fingers in my face to pull my eyes away from Amanda.

Crap, I didn't realise I was staring.

"Sorry," I whisper under my breath, returning my gaze to the mirror, where I watch myself, trying to focus only on myself, and not on the other, better dancers.

Thalia is stood behind me, a half smile creeping onto her features to comfort me, I guess it's not just me who's noticed that I'm being targeted, great.

This is embarrassing, I have barely seen or spoken to her since the party. I've wanted to, several times, but I just haven't managed to muster up the courage to send her a quick text or ask her how her day has been when I've seen her in the studio.

I hope she doesn't think that I'm trying to ignore her now that we've slept together, I definitely am not trying to do that.

She's just incredible, and she just has this weird effect on me, I get really nervous whenever I'm around her, and I feel like I just put my foot in my mouth every single time.

I don't know, maybe I'm just overreacting, but I don't want to mess things up.

I guess, thanks to me, there isn't really anything to mess up at the moment, but I really like her, I know it's stupid because we've literally only had a handful of conversations with each other, but I've started to do that stupid thing where I imagine us together before I fall asleep, I imagine cuddling up to her at night.

God, I'm so screwed.

Anyway, I need to focus. Looking back to Phoebe, I see her lips curl upward slightly in approval of my position, it's not complementary, but it's still better than a correction, and I guess that's all that matters.

"Okay, guys. That's it for today, thank you everyone," she announces, allowing all of us to come out of the dance.

It's not an important dance, Phoebe said that we won't start learning the actual dances for nationals until we've learned a few pretend ones so that she can see our strengths play through through different styles.