23 | Wisdom Untainted

"I just don't know what to do anymore," I hum reluctantly, my head dropping to my palms as I sigh in frustration

Chloe's hand finds my shoulder, her touch comforting as the sound of her rustling over the sweet display comforts me slightly.

My words are true, I really don't know what more I can do to make Daniel forgive me.

"He's never been mad at me for this long before," I spill out the information with hesitation, not because I don't trust Chloe, but because I don't want to admit that it's true.

I don't think he's ever been this cold to me, every message is responded to with a blunt reply, every call brief and indirect, and every in person conversation ends with regret as I apologise for betraying him, but he never forgives me.

Forgiveness is a feeling that I'm worried I'll never know, I just don't understand why he's taking this so hard.

He made me give up the duet, he forced me into an awkward position with Michelle, making me feel guilty for seeing my friend. Michelle has done more for me in a matter of months than the majority of people have done in my entire life.

Pinching the bridge of my nose to compose myself, I look up at the stretch of the diner in front of me. Leia and a few other servers are on shift serving customers right now, and Chloe and I are manning the counter, thankfully.

It's been nice to have this time with Chloe, I feel guilty for always talking about my Daniel drama, but I don't think she minds.

I think she prefers to listen than to talk about her own troubles, and I respect that. Some people like to keep their lives private.

I like to talk through my problems, I don't think leaving things to pent up inside is very healthy for me. Daniel knows that better than anyone, any issue I have I always talk to him about it, no matter how minor.

I'd tell him if they ran out of bananas at the store, he knows everything about my life. I guess that's why it's so hard to not be able to talk to him properly right now, I miss him.

I miss him and I haven't even lost him. The thought of actually losing him one day is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

This argument has made me realise just how much I really do depend on him, he's my partner, well and truly.

"I'm sure he'll forgive you, West. Maybe he just doesn't know how to yet," Chloe's words are a wise whisper, her delicate voice airy as she soothes me with a kind smile, the gesture extending to her eyes.

I don't know if that's true. Maybe he doesn't know how to forgive me, but I've tried to show him. I've tried to persuade him to see my side of the story, he just won't allow himself to look at things differently.

"I don't know what I'm supposed to do," I speak up, my words burdened by misery as I feel the recently familiar pain in my chest expand once more, the same way it does whenever I think of the current dynamic in my relationship with Daniel. "I don't know how much longer I can go on like this, it's becoming futile."