Da-...yum

All the times Peter nearly called Tony dad and the one time he did.

-

The 'nearly-father-and-son'-duo was working in the lab tinkering on their newest inventions.

They'd often work together, but they also had their own little projects that they were trying to finish and improve.

Peter was sitting by his desk, trying his best to get his new machine to function properly.

He sticked his tongue out of his mouth as he was trying to concentrate and chewed on his pencil from time to time, because 'it helps him to focus', as he likes to phrase it. He also tapped on the floor with one food.

Even if Tony knew it helped him, it was annoying. He looked at his k- peter and smiled at the sight of him, he was really adorable.

"Petey, you know I love you, but if you don't stop tapping your damn foot I swear I'll trow you out of this window."

"yeah, yeah, you know I could catch myself anyway, da...yum?", Peter replied with sass. But then he noticed he nearly called his mentor dad! He could never let that happen! Tony clearly didn't look at him the same way! He would just ruin everything by admitting he was like a dad to him.

"dayum?"

"uh.. Yeah, dayum you... You... I'll stop", suddenly being very confused.

He never realized how much he thought of Tony as a parental figure, as his father. He was shocked at his own feelings and in this second he swore to himself to never let Mister Stark know anything about that, he couldn't ruin what they had.

-

Tony, Pepper, Happy and Peter were sitting in the car, Happy and Pepper in the front (Happy driving) and Peter and Tony in the back.

"Tony, be responsible for one time!", Pepper reasoned as she rolled her eyes. They were already late to the press conference they should have attended an hour ago.

"but, Pep... Cheeseburgers..."

"No, no, no we don't have time for cheeseburgers now, we can get some when we get back."

"but-"

"Tony, I don't see Peter annoying me that much, are you really that much of a kid?"
"hey!"

"Tony, be good and you'll get cheeseburgers later. Be responsible, okay?"

Peter smiled, mocking Tony "yeah, be responsible, da-... Dadadududidudi"

As they all looked at him confused Peter quickly thought of something "don't you know the vine? Come on, you old people never know anything!"

Tony laughed with Peter while Pepper rolled her eyes.

Phew, that was close.

Yeah, Peter was a great kid, a respectful and amazing kid, always treating others the right way, but sometimes... Sometimes you could think he was Tony's biological kid. I mean 🅢︎tark is for 🅢︎ass and 🅢︎arkasm, both things Peter knew all too well ;).

Peter cursed under his breath. That was close, he could never let it be this close again.

-

"let's go, da-.. ily torture", Peter said as he was walking to the elevator with Tony. Happy drove Tony to a meeting and dropped Peter off by the school in the process, since it's on his way.

Peter raised his eyebrows confused, his heartbeat increasing. Did the forbidden d-word nearly slip out of his mouth again? God, he needed to be more careful!

"Come on petey, I know school sucks, but you can learn many things there.", Tony tried to reason.

Happy that Tony didn't think anything of his strange pause and thought he referred to his school Peter answered "as if the could teach me anything"

Tony smiled at Peter, which Peter didn't seem to notice.

"Didn't think this would work, eh, you can try. I mean you could just stay home today, Pepper doesn't need to know about it."

"But Pepper knows", Pepper said, stepping in the elevator behind them.

"shit, we've been found"

Peter giggled.

-

Many times Peter was barely able to find and excuse. Many times Peter just stood there for a minute or so, looking in the air. Slowly all his good ideas ran out..

Then, one day, he woke up to eat a big Sunday breakfast with the Avengers. He was really tired, he and Tony stayed up pretty long to work on their projects.

Yawning, he sat down.

Thor was happily eating his pop tarts while everyone else also found something nice too eat.

"Auntie 'tasha, gimme the butter please?" Peter rubbed his eyes, trying to get his mind to focus as nat smiled at him and gave him the butter.

Everyone adored Peter.

"Thank yooou, can you give me a piece of bread, dad?", he looked at Tony, not realizing what he just said.

Stupid brain not functioning right in the morning.

Stupid, stupid brain.

Everyone stopped with what they were doing immediately, looking at Peter with wide eyes and shock.

Peter, still not getting what all of this was about, drank something of his apple juice, before noticing the stares.

"uhm... Everything alright?", he asked in a sleepy voice.

Tony had tears in his eyes - even if he'll say something else when you ask him - looking at Peter like he was a precious diamond, ready to break every second.

"pete, kid, do you really think of me as your dad?"

Peter's eyes widened as realization hit him like a truck.

Shit.

Peter blabbered something you could understand quite good about being 'so so sorry'.

But Tony? , Tony was just happy Peter looked at him the same way he looked at him and stood up, hugging Peter tightly.

Peter smiled.

"I love you, dad"

"I love you too, my son"

"finally", natasha muttered as she looked at the happy scene in front of her.

"Yeah, you guys really need to get your shit together, everyone knows you view each other as father/son", Clint added with a smirk.

Peter just laughed, only one thought in his mind.

Tony is his dad. And he was okay with it.