The talk

The drive home from practice was the same old same old. It began with Korra's mom waiting in the parking lot and it ended with a sweaty Korra in the car.
"Geez Korra you look more soaked than usual" Senna said
"It was just one of those days mom" Korra replied
"Oh... we'll you know you can always confide in me. I am your mother after all. I'm here for the good, the bad, and the ugly"
"You really sure you want to hear about my shitty love life"
"Like I said, im here for anything"
"Well ok then. So um... basically... I think..."
Then there was an extremely long pause from Korra. Was she really about to admit her love for Asami and to her mother. Fuck it yes she was.
"I think im in love with my best friend"
"Oh honey, I mean that's great your dad is my best friend too"
"No mom that's not what I mean. Im actually in love with my best friend you know the one I've had since like 8th grade"
"What's her name again, Salami?"
"MOM I KNOW YOURE PLAYING WITH ME STOP IT"
"Okay I'll stop now. But this isn't new news"
"What"
Korra at that moment didn't even know what to say all she could do was watch her mom drive with a smile plastered on her face while she was extremely confused. How could her mom have already known that she was in love with Asami.
"The thing is honey, you two are like two peas in a pod. She brings out the best in you and vice versa. I still remember when you begged me to bake her a cake for her birthday last year, which I had found odd since you never really cared for your friends like that before. I knew Asami was really special to you and that you love her with your whole heart. It was just a matter of time for you to find that out yourself"
"Huh, I guess it really was a matter of time. Anyways mom, so the weirdest thing happened today. I saw her and Mako flirting right before practice. I didn't even know she had a thing for him. I mean I've always known that Mako has had the biggest crush on her since eight grade, but her liking him back. She's never even mentioned to me that she's had a crush on someone. I seriously find this all too weird. Why would Asami just flirt or whatever that was out of the blue?"
"Well Korra I don't really know what to say. Do you support their relationship?"
"I honestly don't want to but they're both my friends and if that's what makes them happy then all I can do is support them"
"You really aren't even the slightest bit.. I don't know jealous?"
"ME JEALOUS. Oh no. Totally not"
As their conversation ended, Senna pulled into the driveway and they both entered their home.
Korra had one thing on her mind and this time it wasn't Asami. It was her father. She was gonna shower and talk to him. All this so they can finally rekindle the bond they used to have. In the shower she thought of the many ways she could approach him. "Hey dad, how you've been", "hey so I've been thinking...", "dad I think we need to talk"
Nah too direct. It'd be best if she just made it up on the fly. It's one of the things she did best. Once she was finished showering she let her hair dry and she finally stepped out into her living room to where he was sitting on the couch. It instantly was awkward as they couldn't make eye contact without one of them looking away immediately. So it was Korra's job to break the ice even if it meant chipping away at her own pride.
"Dad... do you have a sec"
Tonraq knew the type of conversation Korra wanted to have and this made him shift in his seat, but he couldn't refuse talking to Korra, especially when she was talking to him first. He was so nervous that all he could do was Pat the space next to him.
Seeing that her dad was willing to talk to her, Korra took a seat and said "look I know things are weird between us, and I don't want it to be. I just want things to go back to normal"
"Same here Korra, but I'm not quite sure if that's possible"
"Why do you say that?"
"Well because you're not going to live a normal life. I expected you to have a traditional wedding, to have kids, to have a family of your own"
That's when Korra cut him off, "Dad me being bi isn't going to change a thing. Whether I marry a man or a woman, I can still form a family of my own and even if I didn't want a family you'd still have to respect that decision because it's my life"
"I understand..."
"Do you really because you don't sound convinced. Ever since I came out to you it feels as though you've been ignoring me, you can't even look at me in the eyes"
"No no no... I'm not ignoring you, I thought you were ignoring me"
"So you're telling me you don't actually hate me for coming out to you?"
"Of course not honey, I just had a hard time grasping the news. It was new to me"
"Well dad, it's all new to me too, but that's doesn't give you an excuse to plea to god and ask him why he's 'testing you'"
"Oh that... I'm not sure why I said that but I take it back. It was stupid of me"
"Very stupid indeed. Anyways so are we good?"
"Yeah kiddo we're good"
And with that they embraced one another and Korra melted into her father's arms. She missed her dad and now she was glad to have him back.