Chapter 2

Why couldn't she talk to him? The fear was so overwhelming, it gripped her tightly, holding her prisoner in its clutches. refusing to ever let her go. It was taunting her. "Liv, where's Noah?" Rafael Barba asked. "Where's Noah?" He had 2 reasons for asking the question. Number 1, he wanted to know where the boy was. Number 2, he prayed that the mention of the boy would force her to focus, and make her way out of whatever maze she was in."Rafa?" She whispered, almost breathlessly."I'm here, Liv. Listen to me. "Where's Noah?""He's... He's at a sleepover." She almost whimpered.Rafael was relieved. "What happened,Liv? Are you physically hurt?""No." Olivia sobbed. Oh?""What?""Oh. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, Rafa. It's... It's 4AM. She almost whispered. her eyes focused on the clock. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have called you, I'm sorry."
"Liv, don't hang up! Don't hang up!""

I gotta go."

 "Liv, if you hang up, I'm calling you back." He said in his best authoritative courtroom voice. He heard her sigh heavily. "My phone is fully charged. I'm putting you on speaker, I'm getting dressed, and I'm coming over.""No... Rafa... I'm sorry... go... go... back to bed "
Rafael put his phone on speaker, and placed it back on the nightstand. "You're on speaker, I'm here. I'm the only one here." He moved to a dresser drawer, opened it, and pulled out a T-shirt.. He pulled it on."I'm here, Liv, breathe." He heard the unmistakable sound of hyperventilating. "Liv, Listen to me." He said, walking swiftly to his closet, and grabbing a pair of pants. "You need to breathe slowly from your diaphragm." He pulled on the pants. He was never so grateful to have an android phone, with it he was able to text a cab without leaving the woman he loved unconditionally.
He heard her breathing slow as he grabbed his shoes. "I'm here." He put the shoes on. "I'm on my way, Liv. I'm on my way." He heard a cry, in it was guilt, despair, and shame. He felt his heart break. "Talk to me, '' he almost whispered, taking the phone off the nightstand, and exiting his bedroom.
Moments later he was standing outside of his apartment, holding his cell phone with his ear. He almost forgot to lock his door. He ran to the elevator, and then he heard her voice."Rafa?" She managed to get out"I'm still here." He said. The elevator doors opened. He stepped in, and pressed 1 to get to the lobby.
She sobbed, and the call was lost.