Chapter 11

When he was sure Olivia was steady enough, Rafael removed his hands from her waist, and draped his arm around her. "Is this OK?" Rafael asked, referring to the way his arm was draped around her. Olivia nodded. "OK, I got you, I won't let you fall, Liv. Carefully, he guided her to the hallway, down it, and to her bedroom. Rafael stopped moving when Olivia did, they stood still for a moment before Rafael spoke again. "Liv, are you OK? We're almost there, we're almost to your bed." Rafael wondered what she was thinking. He was starting to think he might have to carry her to the bed "Liv?" She started to move, and they made it to her bed. She sat down on the bed without a word. He watched her remove her feet from the floor, and place them on her queen size bed..
"Do you want to get underneath your covers?" He asked, after a moment. Olivia was now half sitting, half lying down on the bed."No, I'm fine, Rafa."
Rafael hated when she used those words. When she said I'm fine, It meant she was avoiding something. It meant she was emotionally, and sometimes physically drained. Saying I'm fine meant she didn't want anyone to ask any questions, and it usually worked. Once she said these 2 words together. most people didn't probe her. Rafael knew what the phase meant to her. It was a part of her armor, but the phrase I'm fine didn't work on him. It made him worry, it made him ask more questions. "Liv?""I'm OK, Rafa really." She responded. Rafael wasn't convinced."Do you want your shoes off?" He asked. "I'll help you get them off if you want.""No, no She said, quickly. "I'll take them off myself. You can leave if you want."Rafael signed loudly. "Do you want me to leave?""I've taken up enough of your time." Olivia whispered."That's not an answer. You could never take up too much of my time!" Forget about me, and what you think I feel right now. Tell me what you want? Do you want me to leave your apartment, yes or no?""No, I don't... I don't want you to leave." Olivia said as a wave of fear hit her, she was afraid he would leave.
"I'm not leaving. I'm here." He paused for a second, and continued slowly. "I'm going to the kitchen to check on the food." He watched her body tense, in response he spoke softly. "Liv, close your eyes, I'll be back soon." Slowly, she closed her eyes, and he left the room.A half an hour later, Rafael returned to Olivia's bedroom. He found her sitting up on the bed with her shoes still on. Her eyes were open. She appeared to be even more exhausted than before. "Did you get any sleep?" He asked."No." She said, softly. Rafael strode over to the bed.
"Do you want me to bring your food here?"He asked.
"No", she answered in the same tone. Rafael strode over to her bed, and held out his hand. "Come on, I'll help you to the table." He was surprised that she didn't argue. Instead, she placed her hand in his, and allowed him to lead her off the bed. She held his hand, all the way to the dining table. He pulled out her chair, and when she was comfortably seated, Rafael sat across from her. "I found steak in your freezer." He informed her. Olivia looked down at her plate and found steak there, beside the steak was a baked potato, beside the potato was spinach."Thank-you." She said, softly. suddenly. overwhelmed.
Rafael placed a small piece of his steak on his fork, he brought the fork to his mouth, and chewed the piece of meat. He locked his green eyes on Olivia's brown ones. "Liv, eat, please." He said the minute he swallowed. He hoped the phone would not interrupt this meal. Olivia picked up her water glass, and took a long sip, she put the glass down, and took a bite of her steak. "This is delicious." She said."I'm glad we could finally have a steak dinner." He answered. "I'm glad you like it."

Olivia thought back to the day she called him a feminist icon, he had suggested that being a feminist icon earned him a nice thick steak. She wanted to laugh and enjoy the memory, but it made her sad. "You didn't have to do this." She said, in almost a whisper.
"I wanted to. Enjoy it." Rafael replied. He watched her eat 3 more bites of steak, and one bite of potato before he continued eating. He fished his plate and all of his attention was once again directed at her. He smiled when he saw her finish the steak. and half of the potato. "Do you think you should sleep?" In his opinion, of course she should sleep, but he had no right to tell her what to do."Yes", she said. She stood up, and began walking to her bedroom. When she was almost there, she looked behind her. She was relieved to see him following her. She walked to her bed, and got on top of it."Do you want to get under the covers?" Rafael asked. Olivia shook her head no. "You don't want your shoes off?""No", she replied."OK, good night," He answered, turning to walk out of the room."I don't want to sleep." She said, quickly.
He turned back to her. "Why?" He asked.