Chapter 10

Rafael walked into his apartment, hours ago, telling himself he would make work related phone calls, and do some paperwork. It took every ounce of energy he had to force herself through the first call. When it was over, he hung up the phone with a heavy sigh. He had every intention to walk into his bedroom, put on pajamas, and fall into bed. He fell into a restless sleep plagued by nightmares on his couch.His green eyes flew open at the sound of Olivia's voice on his answering machine. "Barba", she said. He could tell she was trying to sound powerful, but she was struggling. She could fool others, but he knew her. "I'm sorry about this morning, and I'm sorry for leaving the way I did, I'm sorry. I'm going back to the office for a little while. I want you to know ... I wanted you to know I'm safe.""Liv?" I'm here." He answered in a rush, trying to get to the phone before she hung up. What he heard was a dial tone. He called Olivia's office line, but there was no answer.
He felt sick. In truth, he felt sick since Olivia walked out of her apartment with her armor on. He wanted to get down on his knees and beg her not to leave, he wanted to yell that she was in no state to go out there, he wanted to keep her in her apartment with him where she was safe. He knew her, he knew she wouldn't listen to him. All he could do was stand by and be there.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

Olivia was practically dragging herself to her front door when she heard her name "Liv!" Rafael called, rushing to her side.

"Rafa? What are you doing here?" She asked, in an exhausted whisper. She wondered for a second if she was hallucinating. How could he still be here after she disrupted his day, his life? Her feet moved, she felt him gently take her arm. He guided her to her door. When they reached it, Rafael let go of her arm, but he still stood close in case she required support. On autopilot, Olivia placed her key in the door, she felt it turn, within seconds the door opened. She dragged herself into the apartment, and Rafael followed. She heard him close, and lock the door behind him. She turned to face him, and found his eyes on her. "I know you wanna talk. "She said, softly.
He could see, she was in no condition to talk about anything right now. "I know. You need to sleep, Liv. He said, just as softly. "Were you ... were you hurt? Do you need me to get Noah, where is he?
"No", she said, quickly. "I wasn't hurt, Rafa, I promise I would tell you if I were hurt. Noah is with Amanda's babysitter. He still wants to stay at Amanda's. He's having fun there." Olivia looked like she was on the verge of tears. "You— you can stay." It was a statement, but it felt like a question. She hoped he stayed, but she had no right to ask that of him.
Slowly. she moved to the hallway, and down it. She entered her bedroom, and managed in her groggy state to grab some clothes. Still, on autopilot, She entered her bathroom. Minutes later, she was in the shower. The sound of the water allowed her to be in her own private world, and think. Maybe thinking was a bad idea? Carefully, she shut off the water, and stepped out of the shower. She didn't know how much time had passed. She managed to get her clothing on, and walk out of the bathroom, and into the living room. "Dinner will be ready soon." Rafael said, nonchalantly." I washed the breakfast dishes." She stumbled to him, and he held her waist to keep her from falling."You need to sleep, come on I'll help you to your room." Rafael knew where the bedroom was, he had seen her enter it, but he had never entered it, himself.

Author's note Read my new story Escape, my story for this holiday season. Author's note made on 11/28/2022.